Why do they still use the 9/10 cent on gas prices?

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 21:44:47 UTC-4, Dusenberg wrote:

Correct, and also with paper cheques. But "already gotten rid of" is premature; withdrawal is slated for next Spring, by which I presume they mean that banks will no longer issue them. Old ones will remain valid.
Unclear whether merchants can decline to accept them when offered in exact change. If not, you could play a game where you pay with them when the rounding would not be in your favour, and allow the merchant to round when it is. You know, when you really want to show folks that your time and energy are worth less than four cents. (Perhaps, an alternative to posting to newsgroups.)
As of now, still business as usual.
Saw one of those souvenir coin presses a while ago that had a big sign insisting that you NOT use US or Canadian pennies; instead as part of the cost you got a little copper blank. I get that defacing US coinage gets you a visit from MIB but I don't think anyone cares if you mash a Canadian one. I'm thinking it's because ours are now a copper-plated steel core and it screws up the machine's dies.
Chip C Toronto
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:49:09 -0700 (PDT), Chip C

withdrawal is slated for next Spring, by which I presume they mean that banks will no longer issue them. Old ones will remain valid. The last penny was minted earlier this summer. They will remain in use for some time -

change. If not, you could play a game where you pay with them when the rounding would not be in your favour, and allow the merchant to round when it is. You know, when you really want to show folks that your time and energy are worth less than four cents. (Perhaps, an alternative to posting to newsgroups.)

insisting that you NOT use US or Canadian pennies; instead as part of the cost you got a little copper blank. I get that defacing US coinage gets you a visit from MIB but I don't think anyone cares if you mash a Canadian one. I'm thinking it's because ours are now a copper-plated steel core and it screws up the machine's dies.

No - the penny press can be damaged pressing the alloy or sandwich pennies, and the resulting product is grossly inferior to the copper blank. or old copper penny.

Didn't they also get rid of their $1 paper note? That's just loonie.
our country is so inefficent.
pennies should be eminated they cost more to make than they ae worth
nickles are another candidate for the dustbin of history.......
paper ones and 5 dollar bills should be metal only......
any post office within 5 miles of another one should be permanetely closed,they are unnecessary.
the postal service should permit grccery stores to have mini post offices.
postal mail delivery should move to 3 days a week monday wednesday and friday only
the postal service should get out of delivering packages. that duplicates fed x and ups..
the root of all this waste is congress. strict term limits would help end much of this idoacy..... 2 terms and your out no lifetime benies

They do; they're called contract stations and they've existed since the beginnings of the post office.

The Postal Service delivers packages cheaper than FedEx or UPS and requires signatures by the recipient. FedEx and UPS throw the packages over the fence or leave them where people can steal them. Whenever I need to ship anything I always use the Postal Service.

You say that like it's a good thing. The USPS lost $5bil in the last quarter and has been losing money constantly for the last 3 years. Congress has been working for months to figure out how to bail it out.

They USPS only requires signatures if you pick a shipping method that requires it. Routine packages don't require a signature. Exactly the same as FedEx and UPS.

They will accept packages from FedEx and UPS, too.

There are a lot of variables assumed in there.

That service is (is not) available with all services.

USPS does exactly the same and they leave everything in the mailbox. Note that signature service is available from FedEx or UPS.

Whoopie!
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:33:14 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

True but totally irrelevant, since one penny can be used to exchange it's value 10,000 times. Now, if the production cost is higher than the metal value AND the metal value is higher than face value THEN you have problem. That COULD happen in the foreseeable future but hasn't yet.
The real question is, does it take more than 2 cents worth of the average person's time to count and exchange 4 pennies (two people involved in the exchange).

(Assuming you mean they should be replaced by coins.) I'm not sure I agree unless they are made much smaller, and people already don't like the Susan B. The weight of carrying a bunch of singles (which is sometimes very handy) can be an issue.

Maybe. That also means that at any given time, up to half of congress would have little motivation to please their constituents. I'm not sure if that's better or worse...
On Friday, September 21, 2012 1:47:12 AM UTC-4, Larry Fishel wrote:

The difference is that Republicans do it openly with no apology, and Democrats try to hide it behind social programs.

10,000 times. Now, if the production cost is higher than the metal value AND the metal value is higher than face value THEN you have problem. That COULD happen in the foreseeable future but hasn't yet. The production costs are *much* higher than the face value. That's the problem. It's against the law.

person's time to count and exchange 4 pennies (two people involved in the exchange). Why is that a problem? They're perfectly free to agree to skip the pennies if it's too much work.

unless they are made much smaller, and people already don't like the Susan B. The weight of carrying a bunch of singles (which is sometimes very handy) can be an issue. Right. Susan B's fall out of G-strings and leave nasty marks, too. ;-)

have little motivation to please their constituents. I'm not sure if that's better or worse... When we're $16T in debt (and climbing at another $1T every nine months), isn't worrying about the cost of making pennies a little ridiculous?

unless they are made much smaller, and people already don't like the Susan B. The weight of carrying a bunch of singles (which is sometimes very handy) can be an issue.

The smallest paper Euro is the 5. I've never had a problem carrying the 1 and 2 Euro coins. They have a penny too, but it is rarely used and the price rounded. I've even had restaurants round down to the nearest 5 Euro on a bill.

Lately the $3.99 price looks better than a $4.00 price. <sigh>.
On 19 Sep 2012 06:16:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

replacing rag-paper bills with polymer bills.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Think "US Mint workers union"....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

If I drop pennies, I don't pick them up.
Greg

So your time is worth more than $36/hour?
It takes less than second to stoop and pick up a coin. There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Do the math.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 02:44:01 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

~1/4 of my time is.

It's also littering. I won't pick up a penny but will pick up one I've dropped.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 02:44:01 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

You let me know where I can find enough pennies on the ground where I can do that. Oh, you can't. That's why your "example" is meaningless. You would be lucky to find more then 10 or 20 pennies in an hour of searching, that's going to get you a paycheck of less then $0.25/hour. Do the math. Maybe that's all your time is worth... I've got better things to do. The penny should have been done away with years ago. That fact that it hasn't is testimony to the stupidity that is rampant in Congress and the US in general.
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:35:56 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I would blame congress for a lot of things, but I'm not sure this is one of them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that he thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he filled up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents sometimes...
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:07:26 AM UTC-4, Larry Fishel wrote:

You are correct. This is not the idiocy of Congress, but the idiocy of the American people.
Same as the dollar coin. The US mint keeps trying to get us to use them but we're too stupid to embrace the concept. Last time I was in Canada for a few days, I ended up with about $30 in POCKET CHANGE. All loonies and twonies. It paid for the gas to drive back across the border.