Why do they still use the 9/10 cent on gas prices?

Page 1 of 3
It seems that with gasoline being aound $4 a gallon, that 9/10 of a cent makes little difference. Why do they still use it? Why did they use it in the first place? Besides that, since a penny can not be broken down any smaller than one cent, we always pay a fraction of a cent more than the gas pump reads to compensate for that 9/10 of a penny anyhow.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:23:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@highway.com wrote:

It never did.

For the same reason they always did. Marketing.

Marketing. The same reason stuff is $9.99 instead of $10.00; it looks like it's not as expensive.

It is rounded. Go back to sleep.
On 09/18/2012 04:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@highway.com wrote:

Agreed!
And if I had my way, we'd just eliminate the penny. The things are worthless...in fact so worthless that I just toss them in the trash.

Toss them in the trash? With the price of copper what it is? Wow.
From my gas station days (40 years ago), the fractions of a cent were used competitively. Say the gas price was 29.9 cents at one station; another station would mark it down to 29.4 cents and the traffic would flow in. Now, it's just tradition and marketing to have that fraction. Wonder what brand will be the first to drop it.
Tomsic
On 9/18/2012 7:15 PM, Tomsic wrote:

we did that in '79 during the alleged shortage. It was like a buck four point nine, the station across the street would change to %1.04.8 ..... Boss man would say drop it two tenths, change the pumps then the sign. Sometimes we'd change those 12 pumps 4 or 5 times a day.
--
Steve Barker

They are not made out of copper anymore. I doubt you would find very many incirculation that are copper. I am not sure what the material theya re made of now is worth.
I have heard there are millions of copper pennys stored and the ones that have them are waiting on a law that allows melting down coins as the copper is worth much more than the penny. Not sure if any of that is true.
Zinc, with a little copper clad.
wrote in message .

They are not made out of copper anymore. I doubt you would find very many incirculation that are copper. I am not sure what the material theya re made of now is worth.
I have heard there are millions of copper pennys stored and the ones that have them are waiting on a law that allows melting down coins as the copper is worth much more than the penny. Not sure if any of that is true.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 23:05:37 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Copper plated zinc

It's actually legal to melt down any coins other than nickles and pennies. The regulation banning the melting of pennies and nickles went into effect in 2006, specifically to prevent them from being melted down due to rising metal prices. Another example of your govt at work for you.

They debased the penny about 30 years ago, replacing the copper with zinc and just plating it with copper. So a lot of them have very little copper in them.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 03:40:20 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

That's why they are no longer recommended to be used in place of a fuse in a fuse box!
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:13:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

That implies that it was once a recommended practice. I'd like to see a cite for that!
Tomsic wrote:

They haven't been made of copper for almost 20 years.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:15:54 -0400, Tomsic wrote:

It's not copper.

I don't think the new ones are even metal. ;-)
Tomsic wrote:

There ain't much copper in a penny anymore....less than 3%, the rest is zinc.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

copper.

Didn't know that. I have lots.
Tomsic
On 9/18/2012 9:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Getting rid of the penny itself but not the denomination. Still a base 100 dollar.
So electronically, still pay to the penny correct?