Why do they still use the 9/10 cent on gas prices?

It seems that with gasoline being aound $4 a gallon, that 9/10 of a cent makes little difference. Why do they still use it? Why did they use it in the first place? Besides that, since a penny can not be broken down any smaller than one cent, we always pay a fraction of a cent more than the gas pump reads to compensate for that 9/10 of a penny anyhow.

Reply to
driver

It never did.

For the same reason they always did. Marketing.

Marketing. The same reason stuff is $9.99 instead of $10.00; it looks like it's not as expensive.

It is rounded. Go back to sleep.

Reply to
krw

Agreed!

And if I had my way, we'd just eliminate the penny. The things are worthless...in fact so worthless that I just toss them in the trash.

Reply to
devnull

Toss them in the trash? With the price of copper what it is? Wow.

From my gas station days (40 years ago), the fractions of a cent were used competitively. Say the gas price was 29.9 cents at one station; another station would mark it down to 29.4 cents and the traffic would flow in. Now, it's just tradition and marketing to have that fraction. Wonder what brand will be the first to drop it.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Canada has already gotten rid of the penny.

Reply to
clare

Here is a subject dear to my heart. Gas here about $ 3.99 9/10 It looked cool at $ .19 9/10

I don't even like pennies.

Local service station/market/ service facility to me they make no money using credit cards for gas. You would love this facility. I now get all my stuff done there.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

If I drop pennies, I don't pick them up.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

we did that in '79 during the alleged shortage. It was like a buck four point nine, the station across the street would change to %1.04.8 ..... Boss man would say drop it two tenths, change the pumps then the sign. Sometimes we'd change those 12 pumps 4 or 5 times a day.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Didn't know that. I have lots.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Getting rid of the penny itself but not the denomination. Still a base

100 dollar.

So electronically, still pay to the penny correct?

Reply to
Dusenberg

Ah, no, you don't. Next time you fill up, do the math.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A penny saved is a penny earned.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

gregz wrote in news:1712672016369710999.929015zekor- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

So your time is worth more than $36/hour?

It takes less than second to stoop and pick up a coin. There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Do the math.

Reply to
Doug Miller

They are not made out of copper anymore. I doubt you would find very many incirculation that are copper. I am not sure what the material theya re made of now is worth.

I have heard there are millions of copper pennys stored and the ones that have them are waiting on a law that allows melting down coins as the copper is worth much more than the penny. Not sure if any of that is true.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I thought a penny saved, is a penny taxed.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Zinc, with a little copper clad.

.

They are not made out of copper anymore. I doubt you would find very many incirculation that are copper. I am not sure what the material theya re made of now is worth.

I have heard there are millions of copper pennys stored and the ones that have them are waiting on a law that allows melting down coins as the copper is worth much more than the penny. Not sure if any of that is true.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

~1/4 of my time is.

in an hour. Do

It's also littering. I won't pick up a penny but will pick up one I've dropped.

Reply to
krw

A penny saved is a decent shot pin washer. They also make a decent washer to use in a place where steel would rust.

Reply to
gfretwell

Copper plated zinc

Reply to
gfretwell

in an hour. Do

You let me know where I can find enough pennies on the ground where I can do that. Oh, you can't. That's why your "example" is meaningless. You would be lucky to find more then 10 or 20 pennies in an hour of searching, that's going to get you a paycheck of less then $0.25/hour. Do the math. Maybe that's all your time is worth... I've got better things to do. The penny should have been done away with years ago. That fact that it hasn't is testimony to the stupidity that is rampant in Congress and the US in general.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher