Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

Page 5 of 5

Yep, same here. I have an imperial socket that fits the nut on my VW steering wheel. I'm sure it must be a metric size, but I inherited the imperial socket from my step-dad and it works fine. So I've never bothered tracking down the metric socket.
Sometimes a nut will be deformed just slightly so that the actual metric socket doesn't fit, but an imperial size will. Six point sockets are much better for this sort of thing than 12 point sockets.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 04:53:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Never used. - or very VERY seldom used.
On 09/12/2016 09:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've found the 10 popping up in the strangest places. Even Harley throws a couple in to keep you guessing. I've got some of the less popular large sizes for axle nuts on the bikes.

Harley uses some Japanese (or other Pacific Rim) sourced parts that WILL have 10mm heads on 6mm bolts.
On 9/13/2016 12:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

WHAT? The all American made motorcycle? I'm shocked!
On 09/13/2016 01:19 PM, Meanie wrote:

Except for the forks, carb, battery, probably the tires, the horn, and a few other minor pieces... Most of the bling in the boutique is from China.

All of the chrome on the bike proper is plated here in Kitchener Ontario by Kuntz Electroplating.
The japanese parts would be things like the starter and some other electrical parts.

What, precisely, constitutes a "japanese" (sic) part?
Did you know that when HD bought themselves back from AMF and developed the Evolution engine, those engines were manufactured (in the USA) on 40 million dollars worth of newly purchased (from Japan) Japanese mfrg equipment? That was 1984.
Somehow, I doubt even less of that particular brand of m/c is currently mfrd in the USA, today. 8|
nb
On 09/14/2016 01:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keihin_Corporation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showa_Corporation
Some of the cast wheels are by Enkei. They may be made in the Jacksonville plant. I don't know about current production but they used to favor Dunlop tires. Who knows where they were made.

It goes both ways... Several months ago I needed to replace a bolt for the seatbelt in my 1976 Rabbit. It's a German car, so I figured it was a metric bolt. I tried every available metric thread pitch, but nothing fit right. On a whim I tried a fine thread imperial bolt and it threaded in perfectly!
On 09/13/2016 11:07 PM, HerHusband wrote:

BSF? I didn't think that stuff fit anything. In youthful ignorance I got involved with British cars and remember the joys of Whitworth.
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 05:07:40 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

I've got a surprise for you. A 1976 Rabbit isn'r a german car - it was built in Westmoreland Pennsylvania
On 09/14/2016 03:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I thought VWs were built by MTD.
On 09/14/2016 01:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My '86 F150 isn't a US truck; it was built in Canada...

The Westmoreland plant didn't start building Rabbits until 1978:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Westmoreland_Assembly
My 1976 VW Rabbit was built in Wolfsburg, Germany.
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 11:10:40 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

My 1967 Beetle was born in Germany, lived in Germany and died in Germany.
I totaled it while stationed at USCG LORSTA Sylt Germany in 1976.