Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

Page 1 of 5
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.
They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...
Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:32:22 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Depends what's missing, I suppose. I used to rarely find things that were 11mm. 8, 10 and 13mm were very common, and everything else somewhere inbetween.
Personally I like having at least a couple of everything in a variety of socket depths and drive sizes.
cheers
Jules
Jules Richardson wrote:

it separately like many others.
Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.
--
LSMFT

Yea, my ex.

And yess, LOTS of nuts that are not SAE or Metric. Think BSF, Whitworth, and Acme to start. But when you are talking METRIC, they are, except for a very few specialty apps, either ANSI/ISO, DIN, or JIS.
And the 15mm nuts on a bike - same size wrench required for the pedals.
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:19:08 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

18mm is standard ANSI/ISO nut size. 15mm is not. What vehicle, and where?

15mm is not a common standard nut or bolt hex size, but it will sometimes be used for a flange nut or flanged hex head bolt. I don't recall right now if I've seen it used for a plain hex nut or bolt, but the size is definitely used on many vehicles.

Triumph motorcycle, as are many British cars. Whitworth.

Remember Norton motorcycles? My brother had one in the 70's. My son and I were just talking about metric/sae & I seem to recall the Norton was some bastard type, too-- neither set of wrenches fit them.
Jim

I learned about Whitworth many decades ago on my Bonneville.
On 11/5/2010 6:09 PM, LSMFT wrote:

British Standard Whitworth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth
Found on some older English motorcycles.
TDD

$

Red...

Does it not depend on market demand? If size 9 mm. nuts were common we should expect 9 mm. wrenches to be proportionately common.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Maybe he got it on sale. They bumped up the 9mm to 10mm at no extra charge!

I know not what HD is, but Sears? I guess it's like food. Keep the price the same and decrease the amount. OTOH, you get what you pay for. Try a better brand, like K-D. I've yet to see any skipped sizes in their line-up. I haven't needed to buy any new tools in a awhile, so don't know who is currently screwing the customer.
I do know one thing. Almost all metric sizes will fit any SAE size fastener, although perhaps a bit loose or tight. I doesn't work the other way around. If you can only afford one std, get metric.
nb

wrench in a kit, as NO 9mm nuts or bolt heads exist in any of the 3 (or 4 - 2 are the same ) metric standards.
In a european or american (ISO/ANSI) set, a 12mm might also be missing, as it is only used in JIS standard. American (ANSI/ISO) sets don't need a 17mm or a 19mm either., while JIS and DIN use both. ISO/ANSI do not use 11MM either, while JIS does not use 11 or 18 0r 21.DIN doesn't use 21 either - and NOBODY uses 20 or 23, or 25.
As for standard vs metric, 8mm fits 5/16 reasonably close, 11mm fits 7/16", 13mm fits 1/2" 14mm fits 9/16, and 17mm fits 11/16
Not perfectly, but close enough if the fastener is not too tight and you are in a pinch.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

I've seen other sets that include the 9 and are missing another, possibly for the same reason.

Which is exactly how this fella puts it.
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/science/wrench-conversion.htm

I don't know what reference library fantasyland YOU are living in, but having used metric sized wrench sets professionally for about 35 yrs, I can certainly attest to the fact that 9, 12, and 17mm fasterners do indeed exist and are found on real actual mechanical devices requiring said wrench sizes.
nb

required a 9mm wrench that I can remember. I DO have a couple totally pristine 9mm sockets though. There are some 9mm 12 point fasteners I believe also on VW clutches - you use a special VW service tool to service the pressure plate.- again, a special application where you would/should not use a combination wrench - and the open end part would definitely not fit. That's automotive/industrial And I've worked on British, German, French, Italian, American, Russian,French, Korean, Mexican, Canadian, as well as a few other, vehicles.
I think I heard the float needle seat on some itallian motorcycles are 9mm HEX - requiring a thinwall 9mm scoket to take them out - but a 9mm open end, box end, or combination wrench wouldn't do that job either. Mabee brake bleeder screws - (Honda Motorcycles?) you could use a combi wrench there
Now on BICYCLES, that's a different story.- like I said - special apps - non standard. Wacky non-standard thread pitches, particularly on Italian stuff. And Chinese?????? a 9mm wrench might fit something that was SUPPOSED to be either 8 or 10.