Why do they paint 2-inch pool pipes black? (just repaired with 2" white PVC)

Page 2 of 2

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:26:51 -0700, LM wrote:

http://www.pvcworkshop.com/painting.htm How to Paint Your PVC Pipe Projects
Quote "I've had the best success with the Krylon™ Fusion brand that’s formulated for plastic and PVC."

LM-
Super reply!
My landscape guy used white PVC (not sunlight resistance & unpainted) for an above manifold but placed such that it got very little direct sunlight.
After about 25 years, a narrow strip of plywood (3/4"x 3.5" x 96") that I Ieft on the patio cover blew off and hit one of the brass anti- siphon valves.
The PVC on the pressure side broke and I repaired with the grey PVC........ too lazy to rebuild the whole manifold in sunlight resistant PVC or copper. Maybe it'll last another 25 years? :)
cheers Bob
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:34:01 -0700, Bob F wrote:

I think I found a clue why I need to use (white) PVC and not (black) ABS pipe fittings in the high-pressure side of my pool plumbing! :(
http://www.swimming-pool-repair.net/plumbing.html "ABS is not pressure rated for applications such as a pool plumbing sytstem and an ABS pool system will be likely to develop leak problems prematurely."
Also ... "ABS pipe can be identified by its black color and the yellow glue used to fuse the fittings to the pipe. PVC is generally white and should have a wall thicknes of 40mm commonly refered to as schedule 40."
Since I used the "blue" glue, I wonder if it will make a difference with my single accidental ABS fitting???

If it makes any difference mine are all still white. I don't remember seeing any that were painted any color. That's weird that it blew up. I had my waste valve closed one time and tried to back wash. I didn't have it on long so it didn't do anything. I'm glad you said something because I never would of imagined that could happen. I'll bet your motor seal goes out soon if it isn't gone already.
I'm always afraid I'm going to do something stupid like that.
On 18/04/10 11:03 PM, Brent wrote:

Sunlight damage.
Thanks, you reminded me to go paint the replacement pipes I used when I replaced my pool pump.

(Mohave Desert)
Okay I had to go look. My pool pump pipes are gray. Spears brand fitting, 2" PVC 1. Looked up gray pipe, it is SCH 80. My pipe stated SCH 40. So, I scraped it with my razor blade. Sure enough, the pipe is white. Looking further I found the blue glue. Some of the glue, painted gray looks like it is special - but not so. All this time I figgered it was gray pipe...
The supply lines for the solar panels are SCH 40, PVC1 painted a desert tan/sand color (eye appeal). Obvious the installer for the solar used a aerosol spray can. I can see some over spray on the gray.
A suggested paint for Lasco was to use a water base, white latex.?
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:07:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

Thanks for that information.
It's wonderful to finally understand what is going on.
Schedule 40 PVC is 40mm thick and the gray is for UV protection.
I think the riddle of the painted pipes has been solved! :)
On Apr 19, 2:03am, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

You got it, Protect them from UV radiation.
On Apr 19, 2:03am, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

no do not paint ! reason for black paint 2 much beer, attemtp to hide pluming. reason not to paint . ease of repair. never walk away after a repair , prime the pump and wait to see that every thing is flowing WITH NO LEAKS and the filter preasure is OK .you can turn pump on and off on and off and watch the pump as you do this (my trick) see leaks ? fix them.... remember a clean poool is a safer pool.... POOLPUMPREPAIRGUY .IN SUNNY LONGWOOD FLORIDA . where the pool is always open, come on in the water is just fine.. Jay