Why do renters install

Page 2 of 3
Big Bubba wrote:

Someday knock on the front door.When the wife opens it, with the chain in place, reach in with the bolt cutters and snip it in half.
She'll hate you forever.
HeyBub wrote:

Like somebody else pointed out, almost all chain locks are only mounted with crappy little soft screws, usually just into the trim on the inside of the doorframe. A hard shove will tear them out of the trim. Hotels do a little better in recent years, especially with those metal loop locks that flip over a post lagged into the doorframe. I have used real screws into something solid for a few relatives that insisted on having chain locks, but the weak point does then indeed become the chain.
-- aem sends...

Next time I'm in a hotel I think I'll bring my tool bad and get me one!
Red Green wrote:

No need to go to jail- Google 'swing bar door guard' for pictures and vendors. I was remembering incorrectly- the post goes on the door, not the jamb side. Most of the pictures showed the same crappy little screws as the chain latches, though, so be prepared to find real ones. Like most door hardware, I suspect 'trade only' vendors that don't show up in Google and only sell to locksmiths, may have better ones.
-- aem sends...

If you hear someone breaking in the front door, having a chain on your bedroom door also could give you a little more time to call 9-1-1.

Mark Lloyd

More like, give me a little more time to load the gun...
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Because they're renters. That's what renters do.
Dogs bark, babies cry; renters are not normal humans.
They also collect, and leave behind, several hundred empty, giant-sized, Tide detergent boxes.

<LMAO!>

Another experienced Landlord are you?
It is a toss-up between the fast food bags and the tide boxes.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Yes. I abandoned the project.
Some years later, I got into another snit with my (business) landlord, whose name was Satan, and bought my own building for the company. I've been delirious ever sense.

My son, who was twelve at the time, made $52.00 carrying back empty pop bottles to the grocery store as we reconditioned the rental property. I tried and tried to conjure up some connection between diet Dr. Pepper and Tide detergent, but finally gave up.
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:36:26 -0500, "Colbyt"

That's funny. Mine left behind some blue plastic buckets that their laundry soap came in. When I first saw them I thought "Why all teh buckets".

If the door doesn't have a button type lock on the door knob, I'd say it was just for privacy.
Bonnie Jean wrote:

We're talking about hooks on the OTHER side of the door.
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:38:41 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"

heck, most of the time they put an outside door key lock on the dang bedroom doors. Sometimes there's a keyed lock on the bedroom door and another keyed lock on the bathroom door that's inside teh bedroom.
i think renters get to believing they own or can install whatever they want after a while. .... its neverending
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Heh! An old law schoolmate of mine put his extra money into rental property. He told me one renter put up a six-foot cedar fence around the back yard.
"What did you do?" I asked.
"I raised his rent $20.00/month," said my lawyer friend. "I convinced him the property was worth more now that it had a fence!"
This, among others, is one reason I opted to not pursue a legal career.
HeyBub wrote:

Basic property law- permanently installed improvements become the property of the landlord, absent agreement to the contrary. I have improved rental properties I occupied at times, but it was cheap stuff, and with landlord's permission. It was worth it to me at the time, even knowing I would have to leave it behind. (Shelves and that sort of thing, mainly.) Landlord with the new fence was out of line- you raise the rent for the NEXT tenant, not for the guy that was nice to you. THAT is basic Karma law.
-- aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in 3253.bay.webtv.net:

A house a few doors down kept being sold and resold. We thought the new people owned the place. When they moved, they took the above ground swimming pool and the shed. We saw them dismantling it. Later on there was an article in the newspaper that when this renter moved out, he stole lots of stuff. He left a big hole in the yard where the pool was. If the property owner had told one of us neighbors he was renting the house, we would have called the police when we saw the stuff being removed. We don't know what was stolen from inside the home.

One renter I had held a yard sale when he moved out. I later discovered some of the stuff he sold was things like the outside door lamps, the electric outlet for the dryer and other stupid small stuff like that.

my dad had a tenant who left in the middle of the night, behind on rent he ripped out all the copper plumbing, tore the copper wiring and switches out of walls, light fixtures gone too.
basically stripped home of anything of value, including the service entrance cable and breaker box.
it cost thousands to repair, my dad sold the home soon after