Why do renters install

Page 1 of 3
Why do renters install those chain door lock gizmos so you can open the door 2 inches and peek out? It would be one thing if they put them only on outside doors but over and over when tenants move out I find them on inside doors. Don't they know who they are living with and need to check before opening the bedroom door?
Why do renters install those chain door lock gizmos so you can open the door 2 inches and peek out? It would be one thing if they put them only on outside doors but over and over when tenants move out I find them on inside doors. Don't they know who they are living with and need to check before opening the bedroom door?
***
Kids!

Because they dont feel safe and now if you need access you have a problem, I dont allow them and remove them.
ransley wrote:

I take it you are referring only to "keyed chain door locks", and not the "unkeyed" ones.
If it's "unkeyed" ones, are you saying the problem is that you don't have access when someone is inside and you announce yourself but they still won't let you in?
If that's the case I think you may need to remove the tenants, and not just those unkeyed chain locks. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

No, just unkeyed ones. They put them on bedroom doors. Why would you need one on the bedroom in your own house????

To keep Uncle Nasty from visiting during the night.
To keep out nosey landlords.

If you've ever been asleep in your room when someone broke into your home you could answer that question yourself.

(Larry W) wrote:

Oh, don't be silly. One good solid shove or kick, and the screws pull right out of the trim. Those things are useless. All they provide is a false sense of security, and absolutely *no* real protection.
........................... ------------------------

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said, except that it is the renter, not me (in this case) who was silly. People install these things because it gives them a greater sense of security. Their efficiency in that regard is another matter. Certainly a surface mount dead bolt would be more effective but still something that the average renter could install herself.

Larry W wrote:

Yeah, but most of those mess up the door and the casing worse than a chain bolt, so be glad few people are ambitious enough to install them. (Unless you find an offset one, most require chiseling and drilling.)
-- aem sends...

So the kid doesn't barge in while parents are in bed making love or just naked.
Or so an assailent who gained entrance can be slowed down while a call is made to 911.
Put in the lease that holes cannot be drilled in doors and door jambs under penalty of repair costs.
the home I live in was a rental for awhile. wierdly someone installed a chain lock for the door to under the cellar steps. never did understand that.
maybe someone was looking for a safe area from a drunk or other abuser?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Let the pet go downstairs but not the baby?
--John

no the door is just a partial closet under the steps, not high enough to even stand in, a tiny box with the chain lock inside
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What the chain on the inside of the outside?
Bob
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Some people are modesty psychotics.

Those are held in place by no more than 1" screws, and that screwed into half inch trim. They don't hold up to a kick, or a shoulder. And then the jamb is ripped to shreds.
Steve
My wife always make me make sure the chain is on when we go to bed. We have a dead bolt lock too. But, she insists we need the extra security. Like if the dead bolt fals us the chain lock is sure to save us.
BR