Why do painted surfaces stick together?

Page 3 of 3
On 10/23/2010 7:29 AM, RicodJour wrote:

I'm referring to a little saw wax not liquid wax. I don't think a touch of wax from a wax stick will destroy a paint job or make it hard to repaint at a later time.
TDD

No, not hard, but if someone doesn't know there's wax on a surface they won't do anything to prevent the problem that will occur. Wax interferes with the adhesion of any water-based coating. Silicone interferes with water or oil based coatings. Wax is used in faux finishing circles - in many circles - as a release agent. The wax certainly will work to reduce stiction for sliding surfaces, and it's not necessarily a big deal if the person who put the wax on is the person who will be doing the subsequent painting. But very few painters, pro or amateur, routinely dewax/degrease a surface, particularly in this day of self-priming, sticks to gloss paint, paints - and sanding doesn't remove all traces of wax. There will be fish-eyes.
The OP said that he had casement windows, so there's really not a lot of sliding going on. The problem is due to paint buildup. Over time, paint build up will interfere with hinge and latch operations. The best time to deal with potential paint buildup problems is before a window is repainted. The operating parts should be checked for clearance with a piece of paper. If the paper doesn't slide out easily when the parts are closed, the window is too tight to repaint without some sanding.

I've always figured latex paint takes a month to dry.
I did some metal garage doors this summer. Door sections have an overlap. Left the overlaps separated and let dry for a day. Put petroleum jelly on the joints. Worked out well.

p.s. Another thing I often use on a multitude of things I don't want to stick is a piece of waxed paper. Clamping things that were glued is a frequent flyer.