Why do mice chew wires?

I have an underground pit where my well tank sits. The top of the pit is a removable trap door. Because that pit gets some water in it after a heavy rain, I need to pump it out. I have a sump pump in the pit with an extension cord that runs into the pit, thru a groove in the trap door.

I checked the pit the other day, and it had some standing water in it. Then I found the breaker tripped to that pump. I then found why. A mouse chewed the cord, right where it enters that trap door groove. The mouse chewed right to the copper on the black (hot) wire. That mouse had to get electrocuted, but I cant find any remains. The only thing I can think, is that it was partly sticking out that groove and a cat got it. Otherwise where the heck did it go?

Temporarily I taped it, but I guess I'm going to have to run wires thru conduit into that pit to prevent this from happening again. I never understand why mice chew wires. Wire insulation is not like food???? It seems pointless why they chew wires....

Reply to
Paintedcow

It's the way God made them,

My 2 Cents

Paintedcow wrote: ...

if there was a small hole along the wire they probably were trying to make the hole bigger so they could have a nice home in there.

fix the wire and then caulk the hole completely shut and they probably won't chew it again.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

The plastic insulation on the wires usually has lead in it, which gives it a sweetish taste. A lot of animals find that attractive, not just mice, but squirrels, rabbits, and more.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Why is that? (lead) I've noticed lead warnings on lost of plastic parts (China) and could only assume they were using soft tooling to make the things...

Are you claiming the plastic *itself* has lead in its formulation?

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y wrote: "- show quoted text - Why is that? (lead) I've noticed lead warnings on lost of plastic parts (China) and could only assume they were using soft tooling to make the things...

Are you claiming the plastic *itself* has lead in its formulation? "

Couldn't be plainer.

Lead is both a preservative and softener in plastics. Even in the interior trim of that shiny new car. Ever wonder what you're inhaling when you sit in the driver seat and savor that new car smell? Feeling dazed & confused?

Ironically, lead has been largely removed from the solder inside electronics - where it is of least harm, and it's been absent from paint for over three decades, yet it is present in nearly EVERY PLASTIC ITEM WE FRICKN TOUCH!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I suspect it's role in wire insulation is as a softener and that it appears there in greater concentrations. I.e., you see the Calif. warning messages on (chinese) wire products but not on the interiors of vehicles (where they would undoubtedly be *touched* far more often than, e.g., XMAS light wires.

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y:

Re: Car interiors. Don't kid yourself: During the first year of new vehicle ownership, what do you think is included in the off-gassing that new car smell produces?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

My comment reproduced here (emphasis mine):

I suspect it's role in wire insulation is as a softener and that it appears there in greater concentrations [than in the plastics of car interiors]. I.e., you see the Calif. warning messages on (chinese) wire products but NOT ON THE INTERIORS OF VEHICLES (where they would undoubtedly be *touched* far more often than, e.g., XMAS light wires.

The XMAS lights I have in my hand bear a warning *on* the strand of lights: CAUTION: PROP65 WARNING - Handling the coated electrical wires of this product exposes you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm. /Wash hands after use/

Presumably, it's been "in" the plastics used EXTENSIVELY in car interiors for many years. And, people interact with those interiors repeatedly and on a daily basis (OTOH, XMAS comes but once a year!).

The 363 page Navigation Manual contains the word "lead" once: "The driver wishes to manually navigate using the navigation map and choose the streets that LEAD to the destination" No mention of "wash your hands after driving or touching any of the PLASTIC interior parts"

OTOH, on the very first page of that manual, there is a warning about the presnce of mercury *inside* the navigation system: "This vehicle?s navigation display, if so equipped, includes mercury-containing components. Upon removal, please reuse, recycle, or dispose of as hazardous waste." I.e., its not even something with which a normal user would ever interact (as most normal users never REMOVE the navigation system from their vehicle!)

The Owner's Manual has a simple, vague disclaimer: "California Proposition 65 Warning WARNING: This product contains or emits chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." Motor oil and many other fluids used in the vehicle fall into that category. Additionally: "WARNING: Battery post, terminals, and related accessories contain lead and lead compounds. Wash your hands after handling" Again, something that is *infrequently* accessed by Joe Average CarOwner.

Yet, no comment as to "washing hands" regarding the occupancy of the vehicle's *cab* -- despite the fact that you are directly exposed to these plastics, there. Nor lawsuits from pregnant mothers, mothers with young/infant children, etc.

Leading to my statement: I suspect it's role in wire insulation is as a softener and that it appears there in GREATER CONCENTRATIONS [than in the plastics of car interiors].

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y:

That doesn't mean lead is not present in at least some vehicle plastics, as you seem to be insinuating.

sigh... (WHY do I attract all the refuters, negators, and people who just LOVE to argue???)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Please reread my comment, AGAIN. Does it say "there is no lead in these plastics"?

Again: I suspect it's role in wire insulation is as a softener and that it APPEARS THERE IN GREATER CONCENTRATIONS. NOWHERE IN THE ABOVE do I say "it appears there, but NOT in plastics!"

Perhaps because you aren't very careful READING the comments to which you are replying?

Now, go back and reassess your initial comment, here. Then, come back with PROOF that I've "insinuated" the absence of lead from plastics -- IN ANY OF THE COMMENTS I'VE MADE IN THIS THREAD!

When you've realized that this has NOT been the case, you can go back to take 1st grade remedial reading...

Reply to
Don Y

On 29 Dec 2015, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

Funny how that happens wherever you go, but not to anyone else. Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you like to spout half-understood nonsense as if it were fact and that you don't listen to what other people have to say?

Reply to
Nil

On 29 Dec 2015, Don Y wrote in alt.home.repair:

Don't hold your breath. It ain't gonna happen.

If only.

Reply to
Nil

Nil wrote: "Funny how that happens wherever you go, but not to anyone else. Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you like to spout half-understood nonsense as if it were fact and that you don't listen"

Funny how that happens wherever I go - YOU and that other N-guy seem to show up. Ever hear of something called STALKING? Well that is exactly what you two are doing and it's against the law. So kindly mind your business and butt the FUCK out of my usenet participation.

Thank you!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

On 29 Dec 2015, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I've been in this newsgroup for years, long before you ever showed up. Why are you STALKING me?

Two???

Hahahaha! Oh, brother, you slay me.

Uh, no.

You're so very welcome!

Reply to
Nil
< thekma @ shortbus . retardRus.edu> crapped his pants: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

You've already called the FBI, NSA, and Interpol. At least that's what you said. What was their response, dumb f*ck? Did they call you a dumb f*ck and tell you to put on your hockey helmet and get back on the short bus? Or are you just a lying sack of shit in addition to being short-bus retard?

Dumb f*ck.

Reply to
None