Why do I hear myself as an echo on the phone?

Why do I hear myself as an echo on the phone sometimes? Just certain calls do it. I get this on my cellphone more than my landline, but I have gotten it on the LL too. Sometimes the echo is so loud I have a hard time making the call. It just happened on my LL when I called a local business. I know that business has their LL connected to a satellite along with their tv. (My LL is wired). I get this on my cell, at times whether I call another cell or a LL.

This echo is my own voice and it's heard about 1/2 t one second after I speak.

Reply to
Paintedcow

on 12/9/2015, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc supposed :

That's the echo from another satilite in orbit transmitting your signal. It usually is sent into outer space to a remote space station opperated by martians.

Reply to
Eagle

When line is not properly terminated that happens.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Careful with that term...there are dorks floating around these parts who will take 'terminated' litterally. 8-o

Reply to
Eagle

Scott Lurndal

This is unfair and outrageous. I'm tired of Martians (with a capital M. You attempt to insult them by not capitalizing it.) being blamed for everything. It's done by a small radical sect that lives on two asteroids. Martians are, for the most part, fine people.

Reply to
Micky

Great article. Thanks for posting it! That explains the cause very well.

Reply to
Paintedcow

THANK YOU Scott Lurndal - and NO THANKS to everyone else who replied.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

That happens when VOIP is used (sometimes) and many cell phone links are VOIPed to the landlines - also many companies you may be calling use VOIP. Not all voip echos, and those that do don't always.

I use Voip at home and at work - most of the time it is great. Occaisionally I get an echo - and occaisionally on my cell as well.. It happens when the "side tone" is delayed.

Reply to
clare

I get this on my cell more than on the Landline. I was talking to someone last summer on my cell, and my echo was louder than the guy I was talking to. That made for a very difficult conversation. Most of the time the echo is there, but not so annoying.

What gets me, and what made me post this thread was because I made a local call the other day on my LL. The call was to a nearby business, who uses the same phone company as mine, and even the same phone exchange, for their LL. But I know for fact they have satellite for their tv and their phone is also on that package. (If you recall a few weeks ago, I posted a message about phone numbers showing on their tv. This is the same business). So, this is apparently using VOIP. I did not expect to have this echo on a local call, and it's never happened before when I call that same business, which I call quite often.

Even more odd, when I finished the call and the other person hung up, I didnt know they had hung up yet, and I said "goodbye". That word came back at me really loud. For some reason having them hangup intensified my own voice. Strange!

Reply to
Paintedcow

+1
Reply to
Paintedcow

When one has Comcast cable, and Comcast telephone, is the telephone VOIP?

Reply to
Micky

That's a question I have too. I really am not sure. That business I was calling has a local satellite company that provides satellite TV, Internet, and Landline phone service. Years ago, they were just the Telephone company. Now they have all these services and I think they even provide cellphone service now too.

So, if that satellite is providing their TV and I know there LL phone signal too, does that mean the phone is VOIP? I dont know. I am not real knowledgable of all these new technologies. I have that same company, but my LL phone is still run thru wires. But I'm rural and that's about all I can get. (Actually I could get a satellite from them, but at a cost of well over $100 a month. NO THANKS! )

Reply to
Paintedcow

Yes. The cable company sure didn't string it's own copper wires.

Reply to
trader_4

You're probably right about Yes, but as to asking the question, there is a lot of sharing going on. Many utilities use the same sewers. The cable, phone, and electric companies share the same telephone poles. UPS uses the USPS to make the final step of delivery of many packages. Phone companies change from wires to light back to wires again. And just like Cow wasn't sure, I needed to ask and make sure, before I said anything to a friend, Miss A, who has trouble with her comcast phone.

Does Comcast ever deliver quality phone service? IIRC, she gets staticky connnections and dropped calls,.... and other problems?

Does it matter that she's on a dead-end street with 10 or 15 neighbors all of whom probably share her comcast cable? I've heard that sharing makes quality go down when it comes to cable? Should they run another straight shot from the comcast local central office?

Copy to Miss A, who should reply with any other problems her phone has, and should consider that she almost surely has VOIP in her dealings with Comcast. And should find out if Comcast is capable elsewhere of delivering quality phone service.

Reply to
Micky
[This followup was posted to alt.home.repair and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

As a result of my analysis: NO!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Is your voice going over an internet protocol?????

It is some sort of a VOIP technology.

Reply to
clare

It used to be so simple. THe phone signal would go thru wires, the operator would put in a plug to connect you to the other party, which was also connected to wires, and you'd be talking to them. Since the turn of the century everything has to be complicated!!!

I'm assuming the voice is now digitized when it goes over the internet, which seems to explain why I cant tell who I am talking to when I phone someone. All I hear is a male or female voice, which could be the wife or a female child, or even a boy with a high voice. Same for the male voices. I no longer say their name when I call, unless just one person lives there. I just say who I am, and "who is this?".

Reply to
Paintedcow

I second that. Kudos to Scott and I must say, I'm embarrassed by the behavior of the others. I keep telling them to stop the nonsense, but they don't listen to me.

Last week I even put a curfew on posting hours, but a couple of days after it was lifted, they started behaving badly again. The way they act at times is terrible. Please accept my sincerest apology and I will personally email each of the offenders and ask them to be more polite in the future or I will report them to their mother. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't know.

Number plee-uz.

I hadn't noticed this problem yet, but I probably will.

Reply to
Micky