Why do houses burn in a fire?

Page 1 of 2

Why do houses burn in a fire?
Well, I think everyone knows that answer. Its because most houses are made from flammable materials such as lumber. But there's a catch. Lumber will only ignite if it's dry. Wet wood will not easily burn. It has to dry before it will really ignite.
I have developed a solution to prevent fires. The lumber that frames your house is extremely dry. This is because its enclosed inside walls that prefent water from entering. The solution is to soak that lumber in water on a regular basis. I am planning to build a new home very soon. I intend to run a piece of perforated pipe thru all the walls (similar to a soaker hose). This pipe will be connected to the water supply. Once a week or at any other set interval, water will automatically spray inside the walls, just enough to saturate the lumber. This will be hooked to a timer that automatically turns the water on and off. This timer can be adjusted to turn on and off the water once a week, once a month, or every day. You set it as you feel is necessary to keep that wood wet.
In the event a fire does break out, the wood will not burn or burn much slower, allowing time for the fire department to arrive. Houses and lives will be saved. There will be an initial cost to install this system, but once installed, it will only add a few dollars to the water bill every month. Well worth the satisfaction that your house is not a major fire waiting to occur.
I'm the inventor of this system. Plans will soon be available for a small fee to cover my printings and shipping costs. I will post a notice on this newsgroup when they are ready for distribution. My goal is to save lives and property, not to profit from this.
Nick
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500, invention7 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I'm drunk and you're nutz.

even concrete block houses burn; it's the stuff inside,like rugs,furniture,etc.

a Great way to grow toxic mold. Ever see a house that's been in a flood? They have to rip out all the drywall,spray all the studs with bleach to kill the mold or totally demolish the home and rebuild.
Or your lungs are affected and your kids develop allergies and health problems.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Anyone remember McCormick place?
<...>
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 23:34:28 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I do. I think they it was made of dry concrete.

It burned pretty completely, for being made of concrete (, steel, and glass).
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:33:08 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

Remember reading/hearing/watching about Stachybotrys chartarum? Nasty stuff for kids. What about Aspergillus fumigatus and the other not-so- common Aspergillus genus? An almost certain death warrant for immuno- compromised individuals. That leads me to systemic mycoses. Not good news even for people with healthy immune systems.
Mycotoxins kill people, not the mold itself.
On 8/3/2010 10:02 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Nah. Poor kid couldn't get a summer job and thinks he's having fun with us.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 02:02:37 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk

Have you ever considered joining Alcoholics Anonymous?
On 8/5/2010 1:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@boohoo.com wrote:

I think he wants everyone to know he's a drunk.
TDD

The difference between drunks and alcoholics is that drunks don't have to go to all those damn meetings.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

You forgot about warping. Wet wood warps, that's why they dry it before building with it. You'll have a crooked little house.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty

And a mold farm.
and name it after the IRS.
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:23:56 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Take some pictures of the mold and use a computer to alter them to make them look like the Virgin Mary.
Show these in a public place with a lot of people and yell a lot.
Eventually, you can form a church. That's a place where you can display your Marymold pictures and have people pay you to yell at them. Also serve wine.
People will now pay to see the actual mold, and will (because of the church and the wine) have lost the ability to notice the mold isn't the same as in the pictures.
Many of these people will now pay high prices to remove your mold.
Now you've got no mold but can easily afford to grow more (and buy more wine).
Rent.
Move down the street when on fire.

warping is the least of problems with wet house walls. MOLD is the biggie.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I wasn't feeding the trolls.
I think my idea to start timed fires inside the wet walls to eliminate the mold problem from the wet wood has merit.
Here, take you beer back.

I wasn't feeding the trolls.
I think my idea to start timed fires inside the wet walls to eliminate the mold problem from the wet wood has merit.
Here, take you beer back.
You don't count, DD. You're not the average sucker. ;-)
Hey, I had more beer than this! Where's the rest?
Steve

re: "Where's the rest?"
Right....Buuuurp!....here.