Why do gas water heaters fail?

Page 3 of 3

See my reply to George above. And check your formula or math. It's 7.85 mg/l per each gpg.
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualitywaterassociates.com Gary Slusser's Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates/phpBB2/
wrote

You miss the mark by a factor of ten and you want to argue over a couple of decimal points? OK, fine.
Going out to three decimal places in my calculation (CaCO3 = 100.088, 2Na = 45.980) and using your 1 gpg correction ( 1 gpg = 17.118 mg/L), the mathematically accurate value would be 7.864 mg/L of sodium added for each 1 gpg of hardness exchanged. The scientifically correct process of altering the number to two decimal places in this case is to round down thus giving an unbiased 7.86 mg/L... not that this really matters, but you wanted to argue the point.
As for where the hardness chart came from, sorry but I didn't bookmark it. The one I presented appears to use multiples of ~70 ppm between ranges. I've seen others that use 60 ppm and stop at 180 (including one medical paper linking soft water to higher incidents of cardiovascular fatalities in men over 50, but I'm sure you'll argue this only applies to *naturally* soft waters and not your ion-exchange soft water... sure as shoot'n).
0 - 60 ppm (Very Soft) 60 - 120 ppm (Soft) 120 - 180 ppm (Moderately Hard)

One comment on "where does the salt go". A little hard to redirect the output of a spetic tank, don't you think? People on septic tanks, please note. The salt load the softener dumps into your septic system (think of all those pounds of salt you hauled into the basement last year) may not hurt the bugs inside the tank (Gary even has one study, paid for by his association of water treatment salesmen, that says the salt is good for the tank) but it sure can kill the vegatation within the discharge plume of the lateral field.
Oh yes, one last thing... Nice to hear from you again, too Gary. (I know you've missed the sound of my [$cha-ching$] so.) ;-)
(I got a load of quarterly check samples just in so will be returning to lurk mode now.)
David Thomas Senior Analyst