Why Do Furnaces Break On the Coldest Holiday Night of the Year?

Page 2 of 2
Most people are not aware of a device that's beejn installed in electrical & electronic equipment for several years now. It's called the Critical Detector. This device senses when the equipment is of the greatest importance to the user, and sends a command to the device to self-destruct. Critical Detectors are the reason certain company's stocks are so high now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tony Sivori wrote:

Bless you for not dragging some poor service person away from the Bar on News Years! ;-p

I wonder how many thermostats are purchased every year that did NOT need to be purchased?
Why is is that everyone thinks "My furnace isn't working! My thermostat must be broke!" That's almost like having a light bulb burn out and then going out and buying a new switch for the wall.
In looking at the subject line, a better question would be:
"Why is that so many customers wait until the coldest night to request/demand service on their furnace when they were told at the end of the LAST heating season that the furnace was running on borrowed time yet they expect us to 'COME OUT tHERE RIGHT NOW! I HAVE BEEN A CUSTOMER FOR 100 YEARS AND I AM GOING TO TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE IF I HAVE TO WAIT MORE THAN 10 MINUTES!!!!!' Which they WILL call every 10 or 15 minutes....."
Then again, I don't think that will fit on a subject line, but you get my drift...
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

Good question. At least a few I would imagine.

Not really. But if it pleases you to think so, go ahead. In my case the thermostat had previously malfunctioned. Which I mentioned in the original post. What I didn't mention was that I don't like programmable thermostats so I wanted to replace it with a non programmable one.

You probably just skimmed the post before replying. I don't blame you. :-) I mentioned that I had only been in the house since May. The home inspector that I used did test the furnace and he said that it could use a cleaning. As far as hvac goes, I'm no one's long term customer.

I think you're drifting alright, the question is where. Maybe, if you would forgive the conjecture, into an over caffeinated state.
--
Tony Sivori

Lucky you that you were able to fix it.
Six years ago about 10 days before Thanksgiving our furnace caught fire (btw, this is an extremely inefficient method of heating one's house). We were able to put it out but not before the electrical controls were melted and the furnace was kaput. Fortunately we were home or the fire probably would've spread to the rest of the house.
So the next day we had a HVAC guy come out, he did some calculations and we ordered a nifty new furnace to replace the 42 year old melted one. The new furnace would be in on the Monday before Thanksgiving. We were happy until we learned that the weekend before was the opening of deer hunting season and there wasn't a single HVAC tech to do the job until after Thanksgiving. I guess it must be a requirement to have a current deer hunter license before you're allowed join the HVAC ranks. So we made due with electrical heaters and thankfully the weather stayed moderate.
Chris

[...]
I'm not a hunter (but I play one on TV) but with my company, it's the same thing. Half are deer hunting and the other half are rabbit hunting on the Eastern Shore.