Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Page 2 of 3

Jaysus! ....did they ever see you coming. :\
nb
OK, this is a true story. Many moons ago my girlfriend was driving when we hit some really heavy rain. She had the wipers on slow. It rained harder yet. Still, even though we could hardly see, she left them on slow. I couldn't take it anymore and asked why she won't turn the wipers on high? And I swear this is true....
she replied, "Then what will I do if it rains even harder?"

re: "OK, this is a true story."
Wiper story time? OK...
A buddy and I flew from NYC to Cleveland to pick up an AMC Javelin from my buddy's brother. It poured almost all the way home, a 10 plus hour drive in a truly POS car.
Back in those days, AMC wipers ran off of the engine vacuum and were controlled by a cabled lever that opened a valve.
Less than halfway home the valve broke in such a manner that the wipers would only go up when you turned them on and down when you turned them off.
After a few hours of the passenger flipping the lever up and down, the cable broke and the wipers stayed in the up position. We pulled over under a bridge and found that if we manually pulled them down, they would go back up by themselves.
We managed to find a piece of wire in the trunk that was barely long enough to allow the passenger to let the wipers go up and then pull them back down. By barely long enough, I mean that our hand would have to go outside the window, into the cold rain, just a little bit to get the wipers to go up. We spent hours letting the wipers go up, and pulling them back down, letting them go up and pulling them back down over and over and over again.
We ended up wearing socks on our hands to keep them warm and were covered with road spray and dirt by the time we made it back to NY.
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:52:34 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nice story.
I've lost count of how many times I've done emergency fixes to things "on the road" using boot laces...
Jules Richardson wrote:

Cadets at West Point are told to always carry a bit of string...

Is that in case they have to drive a 72 Javelin from Cleveland to NYC with broken wipers?

Have you ever seen the wipers on high actually improve visibility?
All I've ever seen the high setting do is break the wipers. Threw the arm right off my old clunker Caddy, and totally thrashed the entire wiper mechanism on a friend's minivan.
On Mar 11, 12:47pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Yes, in torrrential downpours, without a doubt.
Of course, I use Rain-X washer fluid in my van and rarely need my wipers at speeds above 40 - 50 MPH.

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I tried Rain-X about 20 years ago and hated it. It made the brand new wipers leave streaks. I scrubbed it off the windshield but it took some time, and maybe new wipers to get a clear windshield again.
Then at the time the new hot product was "Trianco" wiper blades. They were the worst wipers I ever had.

As I said, I use the Rain-X washer fluid - not the straight Rain-X wipe-on product.
The only issue I experience is that on rare occasions, when the street lights or sun are at the right (wrong?) angle *and* I spray the windows with the fluid, I get a haze over the windshield for a second or so. A couple of extra swipes with the wipers clears it right up.
My wife found it a bit disconcerting at first, but once she realized that it only happens when conditions are "perfect" and that it only lasts for a second, she decided that the advantage of not using wipers on the highway outweighed the very rare occurrences of the haze.

Yes, it has always helped me. On my old work van an inch of ice frozen hard onto the roof melted and slid down the windshield at a stop sign. Both wipers were facing down across the hood pointing to the road. I went to a chevy dealer and took it apart so I could go right in if I needed anything. Luckily I was able to bend the linkage back to normal and didn't need any parts.
Colbyt wrote:

Ya know how some people hate to turn off the car while the wipers are running or not in their parked position? About half of the time I do it on purpose, while they are on there way up. This keeps the rubber so it can "flip flop" as they change direction. When they stop "flip flopping" you often get that awful chatter as they go up. Sometimes when it's not raining if I notice the wipers are flipped on there return to home position, I'll lift them up and..... Flop them! I'm sure this all sounds silly, but I'm serious!
Tony wrote:

That, and cleaning them once in a while keeps them working for years.
Not to be flip, but I'm wondering if that technique is a flop?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No. Flipping is not flopping!
Didn't mean to create a flap about the flip that was flopping. I guess I flupped up?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Mar 8, 10:35am, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Replace them when they don't work well, otherwise, develop deafness to what is recommended. This isn't rocket science!!!!

Yeah, but who wants to replace em when it's raining, and if it aint raining, who cares?

Borrowed the company pickup one day and it started to rain. First I had to find a place selling blades, then find a bridge to park under so I could see what I was doing. What a mess.
Idiots let them go until they don't work any more. At the first sign of less than perfect wiping, mine get changed. We're taling 20 bucks or less every two years.
Way Back Jack wrote:

Mine get replaced once per year, in the Fall. I replace them myself, as is I perform all of my vehicle maintenance myself.
I replace them because after a year, they are noticeably less effective at clearing my windshield.
My life is worth more than the cost of a yearly replacement of wiper blades.
Jon