Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Page 1 of 3

always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin, or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?
Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have recommended replacement frequently.
In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber gets dry rot???
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 +0000, Way Back Jack wrote:

I've seen ones on old vehicles that have stood for years where the rubber has gone dry and crumbly (same with things like door and window seals). It actually seems to get things left in the shade more than the sun, so maybe it's made worse by cold / moisture.
I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving it, but I don't know if that's a genuine fix or just a temporary one.
cheers
Jules
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:18:22 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

The fix is replace it. it's no different than replacing tires. Do you screw around with caster oil when your tires are shot?
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:34:10 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:

Definitely, if the part exists. For a lot of old vehicles (I'm talking vintage stuff when I say "old cars", not e.g. 1980's clunkers) that isn't always the case - but although I've had a few vintage cars pass through my hands, I've always been able to source spares or had good donor parts handy, so it's not something I've ever needed to try.
I don't know if the rubber goes bad because it just dries - or if there's a deteriation due to chemical reaction at work, so the oil just gives the appearance of a fix.
I don't know if it affects *modern* parts, either - or if the problem's irrelevant these days, but garages still use it as a way of boosting sales.

Caster oil is what you use when your casters are seized and you want to move a vehicle with shot tires ;-)
cheers
Jules
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:47:55 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

I think you can buy the rubber separately. Don't know how hard it would be to make it fit.
Fuck it. Take a modern blade and tie wrap it to the old arm. Maybe a little duct tape.
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:12:20 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:

Yeah, to be honest I suspect you're right for wipers. In fact, I think I did that for one vintage vehicle I had (or rather spare blades were just sold as rubber strips and the rigid parts were retained each time - but perhaps the profile's different for different cars, so they're not 100% interchangeable)

Baling wire all the way... :-)

I have investigated this for my old Studebaker which uses 12" Trico blades (shared with pre-63 Corvette) and the only thing that I've found that will work are the expen$ive repro blades sold for Corvette enthusiasts. I would really like to use silicone inserts but the profile of the "claws" of the blade is different, and attempting to trim to fit with a razor blade did not work. Now maybe if I had a jig to trim them things would be different.
nate

re: "Now maybe if I had a jig to trim them things would be different. "
When I think of a jig I think of all the one's I've made for various woodworking and/or metal work projects. The few hours I spend making a jig saves me countless hours of layout and measuring when performing the same task over and over again.
I don't know exactly what type of "timming" you have to do, but couldn't you spend a few hours making a jig that you could then use forever?

possibly. the problem is that a) I haven't a clue how to make a jig to do what I need it to do and b) $20 every couple of years for some overpriced but "show correct" wiper inserts really aren't the end of the world.
I *could* just replace the blades with new aftermarket ones and sidestep the problem, but I like the look of the old, low-profile polished stainless blades.
I don't have a good profile pic of old and new refills handy, but they're significantly different, with the new style being much larger. If you go to Corvette Central and search for a '62 wiper blade that's exactly what I'm using on my '55 Studebaker. (it was actually used 56-64, but refills are available for those, and they're also 12" long unlike the original '55 blades which were 11" and are stashed away for safe keeping if I ever decide to restore the car to show correctness, which will likely never happen.)
nate

re: "and are stashed away for safe keeping"
I assume they're hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar under Funk & Wagnalls' porch, right?
We wouldn't want them to be all dry rotted when you pull them out...

um, I think they're in a cardboard box in my garage somewhere.
nate
In typed:

Yeh; and it makes the windshield so clear to see thru too!! lol
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.

Must be something about your locale. I've lived in 7 states in the northeast and southwest and never had a mechanic offer to work on anything but his main task and perhaps engine components like fanbelts, hoses, etc.
Oil change shops are the worst: they want to pad the bill with anything they can find that they are competant to fix, yet I've never had one offer to replace wipers.

You've found one that was competent to fix anything? Stay away from those places!

They'll tear holes in your CV joint boots and tell you, "We fix those."

Had my car in a tire shop and they pointed out a striped lug stud. Said they had are relationship with a midas brake shop and they'd replace it free. Took the car there (mistake!) and they chewed the end off my axle. It has a one time crimped nut, it has a part on the nut that is hit with a hammer to crimp it. It is a one time part. Midas tried to reuse it and chewed the end off the axle trying. Then they tried to say "it was like that when we started". Had to take them to small claims court. It was weird calling road side emergency service to have the car towed *away* from a repair shop.
On 03/08/2010 12:32 PM, AZ Nomad wrote:

Maine oil change shops like to sell you new oil plugs. Especially Waterville Maine. Of course there is something wrong with yours.??
--
LSFT

Yes. They stripped it.

Geez! According to him I am a little overdue with my OEM, 1996 Nissan, 150K mile ones. If they did not work I guess I would.
Colbyt

Oh man can I relate to that!... I go for an oil change at the dealership and they ask what the mileage is...I give it to them and they say "your truck needs this, this, this and this" ...I say to the kid behind the computer "My truck is sitting outside and your telling me what I need and you haven't even looked at it" (he's going by the odometer reading of vehicle and according to the computer all these very important issues need to be done which I think a lot of it is a money grab) soooooooo after SEVERAL twelve hundred dollar oil changes from that place I started going to a 'jobber" place and get it done there.