"Why didn't I think of that?" home repair

<http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/gallery/display.html?album_id%4128
http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/gallery/display.html?album_id%4128
http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/gallery/display.html?album_id%4128
http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/gallery/display.html?album_id%4128
And, something for the woodworker:
http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/gallery/display.html?album_id%4128

I've had the drawer in the stair idea years ago since we don't have a mudroom or any place to put the shoes when we enter. Then I saw that pictures a year or so ago and kept it to model when I do the basement stairs.
SBH wrote:

Oops. Sorry.

What supports the tread?
Isn't the riser supposed to add support to the front of the tread where most of the weight lands?
Aren't we supposed to re-nail the tread to the riser or use a shim between the tread and riser if the tread gets loose?
Seems to me that a "floating tread" looks good in pictures but wouldn't last very long in real life.

I think if the work quality was good the floating tread would be supported by the drawer face when it was closed. You would need good wood. I could see it working. You are basically talking furniture grade work for the stairs but they are really furniture in this case.

I'd be concerned that if the gap was so small as to prevent the tread from flexing, any swelling of the wood or settling of the house would cause the drawer to stick.
I guess if extremely stable wood was used, that wouldn't happen, but then as you implied, things could get pretty expensive - especially if you want every tread to match.
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:06:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

1 1/2 inch baltic birch is pretty stable. 1 inch baltic birch with 1/2 inch red oak glued to it is just about as stable and less expensive than solid oak - as well as more stable than solid oak.
On 10/5/2010 2:41 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:

also it looks like a fairly narrow staircase. Maybe only 30" or so. If the treads are good quality hardwood, they probably don't flex much. And the drawer front could serve as support as mentioned before even if there were a little gap there.
--
Steve Barker
On 10/5/2010 3:41 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:

If the tread needs the riser to support it, it is too damn thin. The stringers (should be 3, but some builders cheap out on narrow stairs) should provide plenty of support.
--
aem sends...

On 10/5/2010 6:04 PM, aemeijers wrote:

stringer. I would only trust a setup up like that with a thick hardwood tread, and maybe a metal reinforcement under the back edge. And yes, if the house settles, those drawers will stick. All in all, seems like a bunch of fussy expensive work when easier cheaper solutions are possible. The guy who designed that probably owned a sailboat- they put storage cubbies in every cubic inch they can, onboard those.
--
aem sends...

A tread is a beam. A joist is a beam. There's no automatic requirement that a beam needs more than two supports. If you stop to think about it, the price of such storage is high enough where bumping the treads up from 5/4 to something thicker isn't going to be the limiting factor.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

A steel plate or angle-iron?
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 21:40:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

inmany different applications. Just need to be properly engineered.

In regards to the cup that holds the cookies.....do they make a left handed version? :-)
Hank

I have been unable to find any recipes for left handed cookies. Sorry.
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 04:46:05 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

You have to adapt a right handed cookie recipe. Look up "invert sugar".
--
"This is not a dress rehearsal. This is the only life you will ever have
and this is the only world you will ever know. Seize the day."