Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

Page 4 of 5

your concerns.

Or rubber bands. Larger applications can use bungee cords. Packing tape will do in a pinch if you're short on duct tape, but must be supplemented with twine.
You could have dragged your lazy ass into a store and looked at the camera yourself. Probably would've taken less time overall than all your whining. Did it ever occur to you that if you buy a cheap camera at the low end of the model scale such as CoolPix, you just might get a friggin' piece of trash? Did it never occur to you that virtually all consumer-grade electronics have become completely disposable? Or that Nikon has a vested interest in ensuring that that camera you just bought DOESN'T last 20 years?
Suck it up and admit to yourself that it was your own damned fault.
Or get a small dog to kick. But whatever you do, do it someplace else.
HeyBub wrote:

A rubber band is better. Duct tape will mark the camera body.
Dennis.

You're behind the times. Use nylon cable ties instead. Maybe wash the thing out with some contact cleaner first.

Duct tape is so very 20th century. In the 19th century, the universal repair solutions were baling wire (used for hay bales) and chewing gum. Victorian machinery was held together by farm tools. Duct tape was suitable for most 20th century repairs because the devices were large enough to handle the tape. It's still useful today on the Space Station: <http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/5598 "They also decided to rig a thermal barrier out of a surplus reference book and all-purpose gray tape." but not on small things.
This is the 21st century, where things are getting smaller and smaller, while Duct tape has remained unchanged since the invention of ummm... ducting. More important, many devices are being designed with little concern for repairs or even disassembly. About all one can do with duct tape today is embalm the device.
I don't know what will become the 21st century equivalent of Duct tape. My vote is for Superglue, epoxy, and urethane glue and goo. I had some hope for ty-wraps replacing baling wire, but even ty-wraps are being replaced by glue and goo. Much home construction and a growing number of products are already assembled with adhesives.
For the 21st century, it's adhesives, not Duct tape.
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Polymorph (mouldable plastic resin) is a rather wonderful invention. Loads of uses in the workshop.
Ron(UK)
hath wroth:

Google seems to say that it is called Friendly Plastic here in the states. Anybody ever get any? Where?
Duct tape is crap. It is actually not good for ducts (heating and cooling causes the adhesive to quickly fail): - - - - - POPULAR SCIENCE (December 1998)          Tape That Doesn't Live Up to its Name
    DUCT TAPE is one of the most versatile materials ever invented. You can patch a tent, seal up a box, or even repair a leaky garden house with it. But according to the Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, there's one thing duct tape doesn't do well: seal a duct.
    In leak tests at the lab, researchers Max Sherman and Iain Walker forced alternating hot and cold air flows through finger-jointed metal ducts sealed with a variety of products --including duct tape, clear plastic tape, foil-backed tape, mastic, and injected aerosols. The researchers also baked the sample ducts at temperatures of 140 to 187 degrees F, simulating the conditions in many attics.
    "Of all the things we tested," says Sherman, "only duct tape failed. It failed reliably and quite often catastrophically."
    Duct tape consists of a cloth backing and a rubber adhesive. "We think that heat degrades the glue, and that's what's killing the duct tape," Walker says.
    The researchers are recommending that duct tape manufacturers reformulate the glue to work better at higher temperatures, and that longevity standards be developed for all duct sealants. Whether that will happen remains to be seen; as of press time, manufacturers were studying the test results.
    In the average house, 20 to 30 per cent of the energy used for heating and cooling is lost through ducts. - - - - - There is a different type of duct tape that works. It's black and actually sold in better heating & cooling supply stores.
The original that I remember was available from drama supply stores called gaffer's tape. It is of a different constitution and doesn't leave a residue when you take it off after a week or 2.

Duct tape just a tradational ha-ha. Personally I like to stick <pun intended) with Covalence Adhesives products like Polyken & Nashua.
    http://covalenceadhesives.com

I guess the Nikon name just doesn't carry the same weight it once did, if its cameras are associated with China manufacturing then they've just sold that venerable good name down the river, it's mudd now.
RickH wrote:

You get what you pay for.
Nikon have, do, and will continue to make cameras in their range that are almost indestructible. Not the entire range they offer, just some.
Price is a good indicator.
If you expect hardy equipment at rock bottom prices, you're fooling yourself.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Then explain the titanium shell of Sony P&S cameras that have even withstood being run over by a jeep and still kept working as new (true story). Story and photos online in one of dpreview.com's discussion forums.
You're fooling yourself by thinking that money = quality. Lengthy research into which ones are worth buying = quality. Cost isn't an indication of anything these days, other than the seller's bank account .... at the expense of fools who love nothing better than to parrot outdated sayings that no longer hold any truth whatsoever.
Billy_Bancroft wrote:

I can't explain it. Because I can't find any evidence of a Sony P&S with a titanium casing. I've had a look on the sony site, and dpreview.com, but there's too many cameras for the time that I can afford to look through (looked at the first dozen or so, no find on "titanium"). What models where you talking about?

I didn't imply that. I said "Price is a good indicator", not price is the ONLY indicator.

Agreed.

It doesn't mean a thing. You do your homework and if you find that Product A offers similar quality and features to Product B, but Product A is cheaper, then you buy Product A. Duh. Just because Product B is outlandishly expensive doesn't mean it's because of any of the reasons you outlined, there are hundreds more reasons why. And the bulk of those reasons have nothing to do with how far the manufacturer has their finger up their backsides.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org
you are Linux user my heart goes out to you

These kinds of small issues that plague consumers are rarely considered in reviews. While some of these design flaws may be significant they just don't come up in reviews that are focused solely on image quality. Even more to the point is the suspicion that reviewers get cherry picked cameras/lenses that are not of the build quality that the consume can expect. How else to explain the frequent discrepancy between lens reviews and what users actually experience? I'm looking at the rubberized side caps over the electonic ports in my D80 and wonder how long they would last if frequently used.
Do you feel better now?
We're you expecting a real answer?

You broke your battery door. And its everyone else's fault?
/M
Moro Grubb of Little Delving wrote:

Don't forget the subsequent whining about how the paperclip repair is supposed to be bent. Now it's the fault of those who offer repair techniques too.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org
Jeanette Guire wrote:

Because today's revieweres are merely there to provide support for the magazine's advertisers.
Graham

It's nothing a little Red Green Duct Tape can't fix.
I mean, it could be worse..
Stoneman

I've had a CoolPix for a couple of years now. Until you brought it up here, I've never noticed the latch and never thought of it being a defect. Just as the designer did not think it would have the faults that shoed up.
I really doubt that the reviews missed it, they just did not see it being a problem. Yes, sometimes companies take a chance a launch a product with a flaw, but most never see it until the unit is put to use for a period of time and in greater numbers than their test panels.
Mine has thousands of photos and thousands of miles on in and still works so I don't see it as a design flaw. If it does, I may change my mind.