Why did back coil refrigerators vanish?

I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to blow air over them.

Just curious...

TIA!

Reply to
jetgraphics

jetgraphics wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v23g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

perhaps they were more subject to damage? and you have to move the fridge to clean them.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Actually they did collect dust, but the primary reason for moving them underneat was to get the fridge closer to the wall. Looks better when the frige isn't enclosed and keep things stored on top from getting pushed off the back.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Also, I have a fridge with the compressor and coils up top, and they too, get dirty.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I suspect it was when self-defrosting units came to be. They need some place to drain the water. The heat from the coils along with the fan works to evaporate the water from the drain pan so you don't need a drain through the floor.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

--- the primary reason for moving them underneat was to get the fridge closer to the wall

That, and the elimination of the need for ventilation above the unit.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't "build in" a fridge with coils on the back without providing gap above the unit for the heat to escape through. That can be difficult if there are cabinets directly above the fridge.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted

They made self-defrosting units for a long time with coils in the back. The one I have now from mid 80s is made that way and I know they were made in the 70's with auto defrost and coils too. Not sure when the non-exposed coil units first appearerd, but I would guess

90's?

Definitely better, as you don't have to worry about the exposed coils in back when moving it and it goes back close to flush.

Reply to
trader4

I bought a medium size Estate (Whirlpool) top freezer model fridge 2 years ago for beer, pop, and bottled water and the condenser coil is on the back. I think it's around 15 Cu Ft or so. I'm not sure and this is just conjecture but where a larger fridge say 25 Cu Ft needs higher capacity, performance is increased with a forced air condenser. Also makes sense about blowing warm air over the defrost pan as another mentioned.

Reply to
Meat Plow

But there's a down side. Cleaning the under-fridge heat exchanger is a real pain.

I still have to pull out the fridge and unplug it.. Then, crawl on the floor, remove half-dozen hex sheet-metal screws from the back cover. ( this exposes the fan and the coils ( sort of ) ) Lots of dust.... worse if you have a dog or cat Squeeze the shop-vac hose into all the nooks and crannys. Try not to bend, break or disconnect anything. Replace access cover Rassle fridge back in place, and plug it in.

How many average households will do this once or twice a year ?

How many will have poor performance or shorter appliance life due to clogged coils...

It was alot simpler when Momma could roll out the fridge, run the vac hose over the ( exposed ) coils, and roll it back. clogged heat

Reply to
Anonymous

My best guess at this is because people are stupid, and don't read the manufacturers recomendations which specify minimum distances around the refrigerator (specifically to dissipate the heat). Sine they know you are going to cram in a refrigerator that will take up nearly 100% of the space available, they put it at the bottom so they can vent it out the bottom front.

Reply to
scott21230

My theory: look at the volume occupied by a rear-mounted condenser with the appropriate amount of air space behind the fridge (and above it as well). That's a lot of volume that isn't storing anything cold. By using a fan-cooled condenser, the refrigerator case can be about 3 inches deeper and a couple inches higher and still fit into the same space without projecting any further into the room. That gives a significant increase in inside room if the box insulation remains the same thickness, or allows thicker insulation (for better efficiency) while keeping the interior volume the same.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

no doubt the current style is at least a bit cheaper to build manufacturers will do anything to save a dime multiplied by millions it makes big bucks

Reply to
hallerb

replying to , Frustrated wrote: Absolutely! I would gladly have the "ugly" back coils again, at least you could keep an eye on them and clean when necessary. Just learned the hard way that vacuuming the front grill cover like manual says does absolutely nothing. The condenser coils are zigzagged underneath in a way no vacuum can reach. Have a 2 year old warped and ruined bamboo floor to remind me now that I should have bought the brush (that no one tells you about) and been cleaning this inaccessible part every 6 months or so.

Reply to
Frustrated

I have one refrigerator where the coils are horizontal and stacked. That s pecial brush will get between them.

But my other one has angled coils in a \/\/ configuration (side view). Fro m the front you can vacuum the front \ of the coil. By moving away from th e wall and taking the machine screws out and removing the back cover, you c an vacuum the / of the coil. Well, part of it. That compressor makes acce ss tricky.

However there is no way to get vacuum or brush anywhere near the inner /\ c oils. I blow them off with a can of spray air, as best I can. It's better than nothing but doesn't really clean them.

Reply to
TimR

Or put it on the back deck and take the water hose to it. That will remove a lot of what air won't touch.

Reply to
clare

There is a way to clean them. I followed what this guy did on Youtube.

It does work. Just be very very sure that all three sides are completely sealed or the dust will come flying out and go everywhere. I tried using foam pipe insulators jammed in between the cabinets and the side of the refrigerator. This did not stop all the dust from escaping out the sides.

Reply to
sms
9 year old post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to
hrhofmann

Don't see why not. The crud I've seen on some condenser coils - and on dehumidifiers - would never come off with an air hose and would require a bit of work with a water hose

Reply to
clare

replying to , James Printy wrote: Amen! The only way I can figure how to clean the coils underneath the frig is tape a plastic garbage bag on the front of frig, take back off, and drag my air hose from garage into kitchen and blow the dust out. Garbage bag traps most of dust but not all and cleaning the blade on blower is a pain too. Like to have the old ones with coil on back.

Reply to
James Printy

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 11:44:07 PM UTC-4, James Printy wrote: Like

I just bought one with coils on the back. It is a small hotel sized one (not the mini dorm size, but just slightly under 18 cu ft.) I was very careful moving it, those coils run the full height of the fridge and look very fragile.

Reply to
TimR