Why CFC's Can't be used with Electronic Timers

Page 2 of 2

They work with X10 as long as you get the right switch. It has to be the one that can handle any loads, not just incandescent. As others have said, these have a relay inside that you can hear click on/off.
My Intermatics are old and all emit clicks indicating

I think the OP may have CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) with CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps).
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I noticed that a number of reporters have been confused also.
TDD
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:26:14 -0800, Smitty Two

My thought also, since the life cycle of CFC's is linked to on/off cycles and CFC's are not cheap. I wonder if there is any net cost saving by using a timer?
Yes I *did* mean CFL not CFC. Guess it wasn't obvious...;)

Some electtronic switching gets its operating voltage through the load. CFLs do not allow any current to pass through when they are off. I dont know about timers in particular but have had this problem with photo cells that switch lights on at sun down. I was thinking about installing a small resistor in paralell wih the lights to see if it will provide enough operating current for the photo cells. I havent tried this yet but I expect it may work. I have gotten this to work by replacing one of 4 lamps with an incandescent. YMMV
JImmie

As long as the timer is doing the switching with a relay and not a triac or thyristor or other means you are ok.
frank1492 wrote:

CFC's are banned.

The manufacturer will state the possible applications with a wattage range. I am currently using an electronic timer for flourescent lighting. Avoid dimmers on flourescent lights.