why "ceiling" paint

What is so special about ceilings that they have paints named after them? Why not just one paint for walls and ceilings and other indoor surfaces?
Dennis wrote:

Simple. Most people want flat white ceilings. So them make a very flat, high cover inexpensive paint that generally can't be washed at all. It would not work well on a wall, but great on a ceiling.
If you want to use wall paint on a ceiling, go ahead. It will not hurt.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
The painter told me there is just a slight tint of blue in white ceiling paint that makes it appear brighter than regular white wall paint.
Bob

Right. It works because sunlight has a lot of yellow light and blue cancels yellow. I really like the nice bright ceiling afforded by titanium white ceiling paint with the faint trace of blue. Benjamin Moore is not cheap, but is good.
"> > > The painter told me there is just a slight tint of blue in whiteceiling

I am not sure that this is true of all "Ceiling" paint. Last time I painted our ceilings, I started with white ceiling paint but it had a cream or off white cast to it which I did not like. I started over with the same brand of supper white wall paint with was a much "whiter" white.
Walt Conner
I was told ceiling paint reflects more light not a gloss but has a glare you would not want on walls with a blue tint to off set the reds from incandescent light most people have in their ceiling fixtures

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:20:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Dennis) wrote:

Not sure how, but ceiling paint is also supposed to drip less...so it doesn't splatter everything including your hair. Does not work based on my own experience.
NEVER FORGET!!! http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0109/missing/files/toyen.amy.html
Nothing, it is just cheap paint because ceilings are subject to the wear and tear that walls receive such as frequent washing and abrading. You don't need something better, but if you want a better paint use wall paint.