why "ceiling" paint

What is so special about ceilings that they have paints named after them? Why not just one paint for walls and ceilings and other indoor surfaces?

Reply to
Dennis

Simple. Most people want flat white ceilings. So them make a very flat, high cover inexpensive paint that generally can't be washed at all. It would not work well on a wall, but great on a ceiling.

If you want to use wall paint on a ceiling, go ahead. It will not hurt.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The painter told me there is just a slight tint of blue in white ceiling paint that makes it appear brighter than regular white wall paint.

Bob

Reply to
rck

I was told ceiling paint reflects more light not a gloss but has a glare you would not want on walls with a blue tint to off set the reds from incandescent light most people have in their ceiling fixtures

Reply to
Spud

Not sure how, but ceiling paint is also supposed to drip less...so it doesn't splatter everything including your hair. Does not work based on my own experience.

NEVER FORGET!!!

jtees4

Depending on your age, you may remember a product called "laundry bluing." It was an incredibly deep blue which was added to laundry loads (in small doses) of whites to make them look brighter. Same principle as ceiling paint.

If you're too young, ask your mother or grandmother.

-- Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Right. It works because sunlight has a lot of yellow light and blue cancels yellow. I really like the nice bright ceiling afforded by titanium white ceiling paint with the faint trace of blue. Benjamin Moore is not cheap, but is good.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

"> > > The painter told me there is just a slight tint of blue in white ceiling

I am not sure that this is true of all "Ceiling" paint. Last time I painted our ceilings, I started with white ceiling paint but it had a cream or off white cast to it which I did not like. I started over with the same brand of supper white wall paint with was a much "whiter" white.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner