Why caulk outside window?

If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside? Isn't the air sealed once I caulk all gaps on the inside?

Reply to
Rick

Does it ever rain where you live?

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Research the way walls are built. Pay close attention to flashing. Sealants are used to exclude water, including wind driven water. TB

Reply to
tbasc

You don't, except to prevent rainwater leaks. The vapor barrier should be on the inside in a cold climate, to prevent condensation inside walls...

It's also easier to find and fix air leaks from the inside, on a cold day, using a large exhaust fan and cheap siliconized latex caulk that dries clear.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

If you caulk both sides, you'll have a dead air space, and dead air space increases insulating value.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

In your case, you don't need to caulk inside or outside. The plastic sheeting over all the windows takes care of everything. And who cares if your trailer gets a little water in it anyway? It's probably the first time the floors have even come close to being washed.

Reply to
Matt

To keep water out of the walls. The caulk on the inside is for airflow, and looks.

Reply to
John Hines

I forgot to mention that the new windows I am installing are completely SEALED from any air/water leaks. I guess the caulking would be a BACKUP measure.

Reply to
Martik

One caulks the gap between the sealed window unit, and the wall it is installed in.

Reply to
John Hines

Helps keep the heat in. Helps keep water and insects, like termites, out.

Reply to
Norminn