Why can't I find a polarized replacement plug.

Page 1 of 4
Looking for a replacement plug for our vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner has a rubber coated round cord with insulation and a black (hot) and white (neutral) wire inside the cord. So it needs an ungrounded two prong POLARIZED plug where the wires attach via screw terminals. Plenty of unpolarized plugs with screw terminals as well as polarized two prong "quick attach" plugs that can attach to flat lamp cord, but nothing for this very common use. Any ideas why this is the case? Or better than that, where I can find what I am looking for?
--
Peace,
bobJ

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 10:08:47 PM UTC-6, Marilyn & Bob wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)24405497&sr=8-4&keywords=2-prong+polarized+plug
On 2/19/2015 11:12 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I've looked at this one carefully as part of my search. As far as I can tell, this is a "quick attach" type plug that does not have screw on terminals.
--
Peace,
bobJ

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 23:43:46 -0500, Marilyn & Bob

That one does have screw terminals and they have them at HD/Lowes

I also think the recommended plug from Amazon above should work properly, and believe I used it for the same purpose you are now asking about.
I used it on an appliance with a round cord, and attached stranded, heavy gauge wires to screw terminals.
Bought mine at Home Depot.

OP here. Thanks for all the comments. Just to end any confusion this is a canister vacuum (Kenmore) with a retractable cord. The non polarized plug that I am currently using (with the neutral blade side painted to show it goes in the wide slot) works fine. Since many say that the Leviton 101-P does have screw terminals, I guess I will try it. Thanks for all your comments.
--
Peace,
bobJ

On 2/19/2015 11:43 PM, Marilyn & Bob wrote:

Well, you got me, then. I did add "screw terminals" to the search block. I got two very nice plugs in the $15 range, but they are not polarized.
I tried Ebay and Harbor Freight. No joy.
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 23:08:39 -0500, Marilyn & Bob

Put a 3 wire on it and just leave the ground empty. Gives you the polarization protection

Best solution. I use heavy duty plugs, with two part assembly, with screw own strain relief. Cheap enough at my hardware store.
Greg

I dont understand this thread..... I've seen polarized plugs sold everywhere. For example, Menards, Ace Hardware, and others.... Just shop at a bigger hardware business, or go to an electrical supply company. Apparently you're shopping at a small hardware store that is still selling (OLD STOCK) plugs from the mid 20th century.
On the other hand, you could probably use a standard plug on a vacuum cleaner, since it's all encased in plastic anyhow, but to be on the safe side, buy a polarized one.
On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:08:47 PM UTC-5, Marilyn & Bob wrote:

replace original power cord with a new grounded one, attach ground green wire to metal on sweeper colse to motor..
safer vacuum, easy fix
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 6:40:38 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

Vacuum power cords are made to retract. It's not as simple as just putting a new cord on it. With other appliances I'd agree. Drive around on garbage day with wire cutters, take a plug and cord off any decent looking appliance sitting by the curb.
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 8:00:58 AM UTC-6, TimR wrote:

I was an appliance repairman for a True Value dealer and rarely saw a vacuum with a retractable cord. But I agree, the best fix is a cord replacement (preferably a new one).
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 9:15:25 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

Really? Upright vacs often wrap the cord around hooks, but every cannister vac I've owned retracted the cord into the base. That cord has to be round, rugged, flexible, and the right diameter to work.
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 8:22:08 AM UTC-6, TimR wrote:

Where do they say they have a canister vac?
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 9:33:44 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

They don't say either way, do they?
But cannister vacs outnumber uprights so your claim that retractable cords are rare is false. And I now see that uprights with retractable cords are more common than in the past.
If the vac has a retractable cord, then replacing it is nontrivial for a homeowner, while changing the plug is easy.
It may be that as a repairman you saw few retractables, because one would only bring an expensive model in for repair, and in the past those tended to be the uprights.
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 9:36:32 AM UTC-6, TimR wrote:

In a '14-'15 Review of vacuums it states uprights are the most popular.
http://www.smartreview.com/vacuum-cleaner-buying-guide
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 12:33:08 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

Yeah. But in the real world there are lots of cannisters, almost all of which have retractable cords, and lots of uprights, many of which have retractable cords.
Face it, they aren't rare. You're just wrong.

Just as a data point, I've never even seen a retractable cord on a vacuum. The old Electrolux didn't have it, nor have the many uprights we've had. Maybe we just don't go for "high end" vacuums.
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 2:13:03 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

That may or may not be true.
You may have just seen vacuums where the retractable cord mechanism had broken and just stayed out.
Certainly Electrolux has models that retract.
Here's a badly shot youtube of repairing an Electrolux, and there are dozens more youtube videos of retractable cord repair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1446Dg5cwE

I'll grant you that the older uprights usually did not have them. But the Hoover cannister we owned in 1960 did.
Did you like your Electrolux? My favorite so far has been the bagless Bosch, but it was 220V so we couldn't bring it back from overseas with us.