Why are bathroom fans in ceiling?

Page 1 of 2
Why are bathroom exhaust fans mounted in the ceiling?
Wouldn't down low next to the toilet be a better location?
Maybe even lower than the toilet and behind the toilet. Then the "smell" would go down and back instead of forward and up!
Steam (water vapor) rises.

jusr install a 4" duct from below the toilet up to near the exhaust fan. Then it will draw the stink out. ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The reason is to remove the moisture produced by shower which if not removed will cause the ceiling paint to peel plus other deteration factors. So use your ceiling fan when bathing. or you'll have problems.

Actually I seldom use mine, the HVAC input seems to do it. Of course the bath door is never closed.
our master bath has no fan, and we've never had ANY problems with the ceiling paint or texture. 24 years.

Uhmmm... Because the fans are there to suck up the warm, wet air from your shower. They are NOT there to clear out your stinky butt gasses.
--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80 /

Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of

So why are there ceiling fans in bathrooms that has no bath or shower, just a sink and toilet?

Do you see a window in those rooms?
"Lou" wrote

Seems the OP isnt aware of code specs probably.

They are not required in bathrooms that have windows. It is for gas.

No, they are not required for gas. In fact they are not required in half baths without a shower or tub. They are only required in full baths with tub, shower or both when a window is absent. For goodness sakes call your building inspector. Lou
Lou wrote:

The problem is most people who live where it can get quite cold in the winter will not open a window before taking a shower and leave it open for the 20 or so minutes required to vent most of the humidity. When we bought the place we live in now there was minor signs of surface mould on the ceiling where it meets the walls. The first thing I did was install a vent fan and vented it out under the soffit. We have been here 3 years and there is no signs of mould in the attic - I was up there last week installing a box for a roof fan... I prefer to vent warm air out the bathroom rather than freeze my assets off after a nice hot shower.
I still want to install vent fans in the other two bathrooms, but since they are not used as frequently I have not been in much of a hurry to complete the task.
because the genius code pencil pusher engineer types say a bathroom has a fan period.

S. Barker wrote:

Hmmm, No window either? Maybe you live in a milder climate?
eastern kansas. yes window. but never been opened.

Calab wrote:

They just blow all your heat outside sucking in cold air from someplace else and raising your heating costs. Just don't have the water so hot and you won't get the bathroom filled with steam.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Bill wrote:

What smell?
Bill wrote:

Methane is lighter than air and floats to the ceiling.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?