Why a Bigger A/C When Current one Cools Adequately???

..impossible in Plum Pie :-D

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

Ser: # 36TD941670 Mfgr # 99929 I think it is a Kenmore. It was put in in 1973

home built ~1950

In a private communication it was suggested that I go here:

consider the house to be one big room and throw in the information to get a "ball park" idea of where the numbers come from and what changes what. Yes, I know this is for a window A/C but the correspondent said it would give me an idea.

SInce I have the house blue prints and know what insulation I have added over the years, in doing some research I have also found this and could spring for the $49 version if it was any good:

There is also this, but I am having some problems with compatability, even tho I am using one of their suggested browsers. Am going to try another.

I got that message loud and clear. I am working with two of the best known installers in the area. Neither really is that interested Again thanks for the interest and help

Reply to
royroy

HVAC Calc Residential is a professional grade heat gain / loss calculator, easy to use and well worth the $49 IMHO. Check out related discussion threads at HVAC-TALK

If you want a "free" *but harder to use* calculator you can try the old Lennox calculator (Logic MP) which is available at:
HTH.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

If its too big, it won't run log enough to remove moisture. Humidity is what you want to get rid of, not necessarly making it cooler.

My house is usually set at 80, and the ac unit runs enough at that temp to dry it out nicely. Saves electricity that way also.

Reply to
noway

Seems to me that a new, clean, well installed three ton would cool same or maybe better than an old dirty tired three ton.

Things to ask: Are you using a scroll compressor, or piston? Scroll costs a couple hundred dollars more, but is more energy efficient.

Are you using a TXV or an orifice? TXV costs more but is..... you guessed it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Mark

Would a 2300 sq ft house with 11ft ceilings require more tonnage than a 2300 sq ft house with 8ft ceilings?

I would guess the heat leakage (transfer??) of the house might be higher, thus requiring a bit more tonnage.

Seems to me there'd be a lot more air to 'condition' in a house with higher ceilings too.

a couple of guesses by, mikey.

Reply to
mikey

You heard right. It has to run a lot to properly dehumidify the house. A too big unit won't run enough to do that.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

30 year old unit!? All I can picture is the Ice machine the Doc built in the barn on "Back to the Future part III"
Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Reply to
udarrell

Hi mikey, hope you are having a nice day

On 25-Jul-04 At About 23:33:28, mikey wrote to All Subject: Re: Why a Bigger A/C When Current one Cools Adequately???

m> From: mikey

m> Would a 2300 sq ft house with 11ft ceilings require more tonnage than m> a 2300 sq ft house with 8ft ceilings?

Not necessarily. there are quite a few factors involved in sizing an A/C system. it could be that they both take the same size. it all depends on insulation, house orientation etc...

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Reply to