Why 6 and 12 point sockets?

Page 2 of 2

The other posters have got it right. The choice ( 6 points or 12) is a trade off between required torque and easier access in tight spots. Joe G

Square heads are eight or four point:)
Six point sockets don't slip as easily as 12, and there are 12 point bolts. Mostly you use 12 point sockets on regular hex bolts and nuts with no problems. Some 12 point sockets like Utica Loc-Rite's and others use rounded points to make them harder to slip.
Al
Toller wrote:

I see Google is still broken or is it you?

Many People like one on one opinions not collections of gibberish from places like Google.

Most people have enough reading skills to be able to tell the difference.

If they can't tell giberish from good information on google they won't be able to do it one on one either.

There are 12 point bolts. Ford has used them as head bolts and for some other applications for example. If you run into one and have only 6 point sockets you will be out of luck.
The 6 point are for people with a lower IQ than the 12. <lol>
Seriously, 6 point ones hold better, but you have to rotate them more to get them on, and in tight spots the 12s work better. A 6 is much less likely to strip the head on a bolt too. Those are the reasons I know, there may be others too. I like having both.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:17:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

And with big bolts, even a 12 isn't going to strip the head unless it is tighter than anything I've had. With little bolts, even a girl could strip the head with a 12, but not with a 6.
With a 6, one might "super-torque" the whole head off, but at least he won't ruin the head.

Also some bolts actually have 12 point heads, like certain ARP engine fasteners. I prefer using 6 points for general work, but there is a definite place for 12 points in my toolbox.
nate
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:16:27 GMT, Toller wrote:

Six point sockets are often used on chrome plated bolts, such as those used on motorcycles, because they cause less damage.