Why 6 and 12 point sockets?

Page 1 of 2

I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point sockets. Why?
I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

I believe (I could be wrong, I dont remember the exact explanation I got) that 6 point gives you more contact area, but 12 point allows you to use "lock on" to a bolt quicker (i.e. 360 degree circle / 12 points = 1 point at every 30 degrees, faster "hookup" onto the head than 360 degree / 6 point or 1 point at every 60 degrees).
-Chris

6-pt are, indeed better for really stout needs as there is more surface area so lest likely to round over a head or break or strip the socket if need really high torque. 12-pt is slightly more convenient in use as they line up at twice the locations of 6-pt.
Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any longer.. :(
dpb wrote:

points off eBay.
You don't find impact wrench sockets in 12 point, its a strength issue. 12 points are convenient for getting on the head and getting them snug. You want torque? Use a six point.
--
Grandpa

I was speaking of new -- last I looked, Sears is no longer selling them. Was in need of a replacement and nobody in town had any in stock any longer whereas years ago they were quite common in farm supply places. That's difficult enough in my book although "extremely" may be a stretch... :)
dpb wrote:

those fit! Only us antiques remember and use the square stuff.
--
Grandpa

Actually, square head bolts/nuts are in stock still at the local farmers' co-op and supply stores. Not quite the full spectrum as used to be, but the common implement sizes are still carried in bulk. Just tough to get the sockets any more -- I guess 'cause except for the occasional breakage or loss of one, all we old fogies have everything so there's not enough to keep them.
You got me looking though, and there is one small-size set on eBay now...I may put in a low-ball bid and if it holds, would be a backup in the drawer...

-snip-

Note that grandpa said "square bolts" not square head.
Jim [I like the square bolts as they're easier to chase threads on with a 3cornered file.]

Note that the shape of the *shaft* of the bolt has nothing to do with what type of socket fits on the *head*.
--
Regards,

I tried to get square head to fix up my next-door neighbor's fence gate, to match the one that wasn't missing. Of course I didn't thy that hard because he is only my neighbor. I think the one size might come included with a fence latch, but if mine loosen, unlike my neighbor, I'll save them before they fall out, so I won't be buying any more.
Pipe plugs are what we use them for mostly. And driving taps in tight places.
--
Steve Barker

"Grandpa" < snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net> wrote in message
Here's most of the whole line of 8pt sockets.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&keyword=8+pt.
--
Steve Barker

"dpb" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ok so pay a visit to a Farm Supply dealer ..OR any good Auto Store...
Bob G.

Last I looked, socket sets often had a couple 8 point sockets included. 1/4"&3/8" cheapo combo sets usually have three 8 pointers.
--
Chris Lewis,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:09:17 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Do you mean 12-pointers? No one has more cheapo sets than I and I've never seen an 8 point. That's not even a multiple of six.
(I used to buy good, but I had too much stolen. Now that I don't have anything stolen, I don't need any more.)
They used to sell box or end wrenches with wavy insides, designed so the wrench wouldn't touch the corners of the heads at all, only the middle of the sides. Did those work any better, and do they still sell them?
On Apr 17, 3:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

You must look somewhere different than I ... :) I don't recall ever seeing a 4/8-pt socket in a 6/12-pt set. I have, for the most part, granddad's 1/2" drive set of uncertain but at least 60 yrs of age. Hired hand lost 9/16" while we were re-hanging the barn door rails (hung w/ square-head lags) a couple of years ago. Near a firing offense! :( I suspect I'll eventually find it somewhere, but if it was dropped outside as I suspect, it'll be in bad shape when/if I do. Hopefully he laid it down somewhere and I'll stumble on it some day totally unexpected...anyway, it was needing replacement for it and really needing it "now" was when I discovered they were now officially made of unobtainium locally. I ordered a few from the Craftsman web site and at the time there was an incomplete selection as they were closing them out. I'd been kicking myself of random occasions since for not having gotten a spare of what they did have...

A wire wheel on a bench grinder will clean it right up. I would try not to let the wire touch my flesh, but I've failed at that a couple times, and it didn't even do any damage to me.
You can get a little bit into the socket with the wire wheel, but I they sell special brushes for drills that will do the inside if you need it. (I haven't gottten to that point yet.)
Despite a jocular post in another thread, I haven't had anything ripped out of my hands, but maybe I'm careful enough.
BTW, I'm only posting this because I do expect you to find it. It might take a few years, but still. (Metal detector?)

Such is life. Of course you will find it, in near perfect condition. just 3 days after you find a replacement.

P/N 5609A88 3/8" Square Drive Premium Socket Set 7 Pcs, 8-Point Standard, Clip Rail, Chrome Finish In stock at $40.11 per Set
http://www.mcmaster.com /
Sears (craftsman) still carry a full array of 8 pt sockets.