Whole house sediment filters

We live in Gilbert (phoenix) Arizona, we have a water softener, but we have always gotten a brown ring in the washer tub, it looks just like the dirt that is outside. I was wondering if some type of in line sediment filter might help to alleviate this, or if the micron rating would be to large( most I have found are in the 10 micron range). Should I put it in before the softener or after?

Looking to spend in the sub $100 range with filter that are in the 15-20 range and replaced every 6 months or so. Any suggestions on filter type?

Reply to
Alexander SuperTramp

I spent a bit more then that, but the guys at

helped me out getting what I needed for my situation.

We ended up with a Manganese Green Sand Filter.

?cat=581 Shoot them an email and they can help you out.

Scott We live in Gilbert (phoenix) Arizona, we have a water softener, but we

Reply to
Scott Townsend

One thing I would suggest is that you look for a metal housing on whatever you select. I had one of the plastic BORG specials for about 8 years before it just cracked itself open one day.

By a stroke of good luck it chose to die on a weekend day and we heard the spraying water. It might have been a major problem during the week.

Reply to
Colbyt

Any of the standardized filter units will do the job if it is indeed just sediment. You want the basic 5 micron sediment filters unless you have some condition where the combination units with a charcoal section would be desirable. Having your water tested first to see exactly what you are dealing with would be a good idea. Buy the unit and a full case of filter elements at a real plumbing supply store, not a big box like Depot or Lowe's. The basic sediment filters should be less than $5/ea in case quantity (last I bought were under $2ea in case qty). For well water that only suffers from some very fine sand the clogs faucet aerators, the 5 micron filters last a long time. I know someone mentioned the plastic housings cracking, but the plastic one I have is still fine after nearly 20 years.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Reply to
Alexander SuperTramp

HI there

We use to get sediment in the bathtub, toilet, so we installed one before the water softener, works great for the 5y we have had it just a cheap 40$ whole house one at the local hardware store. It did leak once when we changed it but hubby dug some grit out of the pressure value, the plumber installed a shut off just before it so we could change the filter.

CathyLee

Reply to
C_L_R_D

Get yourself a "Big Blue" filter housing, and matching cartridge in 5 micron or larger in the extra large size of 4.5" x 20" so that you don't have to change it frequently. Some of the sediment cartridges can be rinsed and reused. Hit "Big Blue" on Google to find a good supplier.

Don't go for those tiny 1.5" x 8" cartridge housings, they will clog up in no time if you have silt.

Reply to
EXT