Whole house Humidifier questions.

I'm looking for a whole house humidifier, instead of individual units that need constant watering and cleaning.

I'm unable to get solid assessment of any of these units, pro or cons, from sources other than hearsay or guesses.

Anyone out there have experience or can point to comparisons and risks of these units.

Some of the stuff I've heard is that the atomizing units will put a white dust into my ducts. The "disc" units will harbor and promote mold growth within my ducting, and that most of the moisture will never make it out of the register. Same has been said for the atomizing units as well.

Anyone got any answers?

Reply to
Joel

This topic has been discussed at least 20 times if you do a google search you will see all the answers

long story short the drip type with no standing water is best!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

I agree with wayne.

I will add that the AprilAir seems to be the most respected unit. On that basis I bought one and have not been sorry.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What kind of annual maint/expense does the Aprilair unit require? What about mold and bacteria buildup? Is that an issue with these units?

Reply to
Joel

Once a year media replacement. I also wipe it out when I replace it. In the spring I turn it off (one lever, shut off the water supply and turn the control to off. It takes about five minutes total with the media replacement, about one minute without.

The media has a bacteria inhibitor built in. That and the design which rinses it as it is used, seems to take care of everything. I paid $8.00 for a third party media this year and it seems to be working fine. I would say the OE appeared to be a little better @ $19.95

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The only downside to the drip type humidifiers is that they do waste water in that more drips on the pad than is put into the air so there is a drain tube that goes down the drain. Probably a few gallons a day depends on how often the furnace runs and what the humidity is! I have had the wheel type as well as the atomizing the drip is the best by far!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Where do you get the 3rd party media?

I have an AprilAire and am a bit concerned about mold buildup in my home walls if I use the humidifier.

I also have a 95% furnace with outside flue gas discharge through PVC piping. I'd like to also use PVC for the air intake to the furnace - OK per the furnace manual - but wonder if that would also contribute to mold buildup since I'd have much less air infiltration. Any comments anyone? Bob

Reply to
B Long

I tend to believe you are worrying too much. Have you had a mold problem? Do you have people in your home who have verifiied mold sensitivity?

It would be rare that you would have mold on walls without some sort of construction problem adding moisture to the wall, like a roof or plumbing leak or insulation problem.

The Aprilair and most other humidifiers are adjustable to keep the humidity to a predetermined level. In addition many, including the Aprilair I have automatically adjust based on the outside air temperature to prevent such problems.

Maybe you have had or heard of problems from less advanced units?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

OK, thanks, No building nor people problems with mold so far. The house is 40 years old so it's not particularly tight. I have the Aprilaire with outside air temp. sensor. I'll stop worrying. thanks, bob

Reply to
B Long

The aprilaires I've worked with have a flow through design. No catch pan. No standing water. No annual maint.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated