Whole house fan - possible to add variable speed?

That's a "dimmer" style controller. Do *not* use that for an induction motor. Induction motors need a VFD type controller, which is far more expensive.

Reply to
krw

I said those dimmers were indeed for shaded pole motors, someone disagreed, I don't really care who it was. But the fact is that the speed controls I suggested can be used on shaded pole motors.

Hell, I don't even have a whole house fan, so I don't suppose there is much chance of me smoking my fan. Unless it was made of hemp. No not really.

Reply to
Tony

I didn't see anyone saying that they weren't for shaded pole motors (or universal motors, for that matter), only to *not* use them on induction motors.

The thread is about controlling the speed of whole house fans, idiot.

Reply to
krw

:

Well It's been working great for 3 years now, and it runs cool, the heat sink on the 10 amp controller barely gets warm powering a 4 amp fan.

Here is the wording from their web site (note it says ok for fans):

"The KBWC-110K provides infinitely variable speed motor control for Shaded Pole, Permanent Split Capacitor and Universal (AC/DC) motors. The variable speed motor control contains the following features; an on/off line switch, RFI filter, minimum speed trimpot and a flame- retardant ABS enclosure. Applications include range hoods, vibrators, humidifiers, fireplace blowers, fans, laminar flow hoods, heat tunnels and stirrers."

Reply to
RickH

te:

:

e.- Hide quoted text -

Do you notice a "for induction motors" in there? Huh?

Did you notice "whole house fans" in there?

Reply to
keith

Oh, OK. Now show me a shaded pole motor that isn't an induction motor.

So I have to own one to reply? Show me a shaded pole motor that isn't an induction motor.

Reply to
Tony

Idiot. Not all induction motors are shaded pole. Shaded pole motors are *NOT* used for whole house fans.

Reply to
keith

Guessing?

Facts: a variable frequency drive converts the AC line to DC and then inverts that to variable frequency AC. There is no way the enclosures have enough space for the filter capacitors that would be required. Also way to cheap. And all VFDs I have seen are for 3 phase motors.

They are "phase angle" controls.

I read the specs - "shaded pole" or "PSC motors". Neither of these motors has a start switch. Find me a "whole house" fan that uses either.

Someone else said that shaded pole motors are about 1/4 HP max. In a fast look at Grainger I only saw 1/5 HP max. Find a "whole house" fan that only uses a 1/5 HP motor.

If you set the speed too low will the motor start switch close? If it does the motor is likely toast. The motors in the manufacturer's spec do not have a start switch. There is a reason.

Where in the specs does it say the control is good for an induction motor with a start switch that would be used on a "whole house" fan?

Seems to be a lot of people who disagree with you.

Reply to
bud--

Another clueless dolt.

Reply to
krw

The biggest I found was 1/6HP, so said 1/4HP to make some wiggle room. The plan worked. ;-)

Only the ones who have a clue about basic electricity.

Reply to
krw

I was replying to those who said the speed controls I pointed to would not work on an induction motor. The specs says it does. That's all. I didn't argue that they would work for a whole house fan. My grinder is

1/2hp and it has an induction motor.

Here is a 2HP induction motor. There are many more even larger.

Again, the motor speed controllers I posted a link to do work on induction motors. That is a fact. That's all I'm saying. What did I post that is not true?

Reply to
Tony

No shit. I never said they were, it was your buddies who keep throwing "shaded pole" into the conversation. I just replied that a shaded pole motor is indeed an induction motor. Go back and see who first mentioned shaded pole motors. It wasn't me.

Reply to
Tony

You kept bringing them up, apparently to show how "bright" you are. Didn't work.

Reply to
krw

Moron, the thread is *about* whole house fans. Induction motor powered whole house fans *CANNOT* be "dimmed".

What an idiot.

Reply to
krw

replying to DA, vertigo72480 wrote: Whole house fans are designed to ventilate a home when the ambient temperatures are nice enough to open the windows and doors. This facilitates air movement with out needing to put box fans in windows.

Reply to
vertigo72480

Look at the OP date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

I never tried variable, but I have inserted a green plug. It reduces speed some. Enough to keep calmer. They can be very loud. Some older belt fans were pretty quiet.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The easiest way is to buy a multi speed motor. Mine are 2 speed (1/4-1/8 hp) They are 24" units 22" blade and on 1/4 hp they move a lot of air. On 1/8 they are very quiet. You can also find 3 speed or even 4 speed motors but be sure they are matched to the blade in high speed. It is like propping a boat. If you have too little pitch you are losing performance and to high a pitch will lug the motor and burn it up.

Reply to
gfretwell

replying to JimT, FanOfWholeHouseFans wrote: I beg to differ with "better than nothing." . Living in a dry climate where the nights cool down very nicely, a whole house fan is the way to go for cooling cheaply and sustainably in an overtaxed climate, and it works well. Shut curtains and Windows all day to keep cool air in and hot air out. Then, once the evening outside temp drops near or below the inside temp, we open every window and switch on the whole house fan, which cools down the house lickety split with fresh air. BUT, these things are loud and we could not sleep with it on or watch tv or talK on the phone. So I too keep looking for a variable speed fan that we can run quietly on low all night and when we need to hear. Would someone please manufacture these. There are lots of us out here who hate AC and want to do things more sustainably and who prefer exchanging stale house sir with fresh air, and who live in places where cool night air in summer is the best way of truly conditioning the ai!

Reply to
FanOfWholeHouseFans

The "ideal state" is generous venting at the peak and soffits of your roof. If the attic temp goes 5F above outdoor ambient, you need to add more attic venting.

A hotter-than-ambient attic just needlessly raises your electric bill.

Reply to
Jack