Whole house fan

I have one, and it has a switch or rather dial to turn it off and on.
The dial will change the speed from fast to slower.
Now, the thing is broke.
The fan or the switch?
Always try the easiest thing first, so, I've removed the switch and will see if I can find a suitable replacement.
I sure hope its the switch and not the fan.
It's an Emerson unit, not even sure they carry that at the big box unit. Look, right on the side, it's labeled a "FOR USE WITH WHOLE HOUSE FANS MODEL"

Jumper across the switch terminals. If the fan runs the switch is bad. WW
On 7/26/2010 6:52 PM, WW wrote:

Or go to big box store and buy any run of the mill fan switch.
And thankfully, it's just the switch.
But less thankfully the 3-speed switch is really just off-on in my environment. I think I will look around for the proper switch. Sears has them for $48.
I think I will look a little harder.

Find the Emerson web site. A large company that makes after market products. Example, a few years ago my new pool pump motor was branded "Emerson".
On 7/26/2010 7:17 PM, Oren wrote:

Yeah I think that is the same company that branded some really spotty electronics to homeowners. Likely just a licensing deal. But, impressions can be lasting, can't they?
Yes the home page for Emerson says they stopped making these "products" over 10 years ago (from whatever date they created that web page lol), so, I will have to try another source.
Googling Grainger they seemed to have quite a few choices, most of which should work. I just want to make sure that I don't "size" incorrectly but as it's working with the cheapest thing Lowes had to offer, I shouldn't be too worried.
I think it's an industrial control I am looking for, with a rotary dial.
Cheer ng
It worked fine, albeit on+off with a 1.5 amp switch. Replacement is supposed to be 6 amp. Local Grainger (oh, I don't know, 5 miles?) had replacement in stock. 40 bucks.