Who would install network lines?

I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else? What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Reply to
cmay

Hi, Wireless not an option? There is one so called communication electrician I believe.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Here in Australia lots of electricians also install network cabling

Reply to
Peter

Any electrician would be able to run the wires... Just tell him that it is very important that he not put kinks in the lines or staple them to something such that the staple would put too much stress on the line... Have him just install the boxes in the walls and you can wire up the RJ-45 connectors yourself... You'll want to have one room where your ethernet hub/switch is located and every other rooms cable will come to it... In a previous house, I ran 100BaseT to six rooms, so I had a 6 jack faceplate in one room and I mouted the hub flat against the wall next to it... I make up some short patch cables to go from the hub to the wall faceplate... The modular connector wallplates to which I had access only allowed 6 jacks on the faceplate... If I had needed more than that,. I would have just installed more 6-jack outlets nearby... You'll probably want the hub to be in the same room where your broadband access line (cable modem, DSL, etc) and router is located... It's possible to locate it elsewhere, but not more convenient when everything is in the same room...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Look under telephones xxxx in the yellow pages, or ask the phone company for recommendations or a place to get them. Look on the bulletin board at a phone supply store, although I guess I would want him to provide recommendations that I verified before I let him drill holes in my house. Maybe the owner or manager of the store will recommend someone.

I think you can find someone cheaper than an electrician because there are afaik no safety issues that require knowledge of the electrical code or other electrician smarts.

Call someone who does hardwired burglar alarms. I don't know if he'll want to do it, but he might have a name.

Reply to
mm

Home alarm installers. This would be my choice. They are experienced in fishing lines in homes. And they are doing more network installs (particularly in new houses).

Telephone installers.

Network installers. There are people and companies that specialize in this. They mostly work in commercial buildings, however, and may not be so adept in homes. If you can't find them in the yellow pages, call local computer stores, if they support local businesses, they will know who does this.

Electricians, they are doing this more and more. Find one who mostly works on existing homes, not new homes. May be expensive for the job.

Make sure whoever you end up with has experience with this, otherwise they will botch the terminations and/or kink the cable. Ask for refrerences, etc.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

If a wireless network is not an option, I would ensure the installer uses CAT 5E solid core wire for the backbone and twisted pair wire for the patch cables. (no kinks as previously mentioned)

If you have a local computer group in your area you might contact them and they most likely will know someone in your area.

Oren

Yea wireless is an option, I have it wireless now.

I do a lot of work on my network, I have about 10 computers (I write software) and frequently want to do things like run backups from my machines to my server, which takes a really long time over the wifi.

Reply to
cmay

I would say it depends on how concerned you are with the finished appearance.

My experience is that electricians know how to put the lines and boxes inside the walls, which gives the nicest appearance.

There may be some cable installers who do this, but I have seen four installations, and on each one they either run the cable along the molding and over the door frames, or drill a hole in the wall, run the cable outside, and run it back inside where you want the box, and the box is just mounted on the wall, not in it. Maybe I'm too picky, but I think such an installation looks cheap.

My s> I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports

Reply to
Not

Oren posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

It's ALL twisted pair. You mean solid for backbone and stranded for patch?

Electricians/alarm/telephone SAY they can do it... but. I would insist on a person with network or multimedia infrastructure certification. You may also be forced to use a raceway...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Regulations vary from state to state. Here anyone can install network wire.

Pulling wire inside residential walls is a big job, very time consuming if done right.

Half to 2/3 the hourly rate for an electrician and a helper in your area is the best you will do.

Reply to
Colbyt

A malfunction between the chair and keyboard, oops...

Oren