Who was the appliance answer man?

Hello, all.

I have a problem with my 8 year old GE XL44 Oven. Started with an F4 alarm, then when I unplugged for a while per the instructions, and plugged back in, I got a blinking clock, and the two symbols broiler and '8'.

I'm cross posting because I know some in Dallas have talked about a particular company that answers questions over the phone, and would like the name of that company/person. As well, hopefully someone in the home.repair had this problem yesterday, and can tell me what it is. btw, the wildcard here may be a mouse. I have a feeling something has been chewed, but don't know for sure. I don't want to open it up and start gouging around until I have at least an idea.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
MF

Adam the Answerman (214) 553-5450 at Plano Rd. and Forest Ln.

Reply to
rcano

Hi,

XL44 is just a name on the consol and not the model#...

helps.

*Some* common F4...

F3 - F4

Open oven temperature sensor (circuit) (over 2700 ohms) or, shorted oven temperature sensor. Could be a result of: · contamination on terminals · pinched wire in oven temperature sensor circuit · cold solder joint on control.

· Disconnect power to range and remove oven temperature sensor connector from control. · Measure oven temperature sensor resistance at oven temperature sensor connector (take care not to damage terminals in block) - Should read approx 1100 ohms at room temperature (approx 72 degrees F). · Measure each oven temperature sensor lead from connector block to ground. If shorted, look for pinched or cut wire in oven temperature sensor circuit. · Check connector terminals - Look for deformed or corrosion on terminals. Repair or replace. If all above is ok replace control.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Jeff, thanks. I have already checked the sensor somewhat; however my cheapo multi-meter doesn't read good, and I am waiting for bro in law with his fancy tester.

Short of taking all the backing off the oven, which is next, the wires look pretty good so far. When you say control, I assume you mean the circuit board? If the sensor is 60 bucks, I cringe at what the control may cost.

Thanks for your help. I will be doing more work on it this evening.

Reply to
MF

Hi,

That would be correct.

Best of luck with the repair! :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Reply to
Allen & Beth

Interesting follow up. My bro in law (that has much better mental capacity than I) showed up and helped with the testing. The sensor tested okay, wires look okay, etc. As he is studying the wiring diagram I was pushing all the buttons on the front, not even sure why, when I discovered the down arrow button was broken. So, since everything was pointing to the controller at this point, and the down arrow button was broken, I guess I will go get a controller! I assume with my embarrassing knowledge of things that this could cause the short originally suggested by the F4 message.

Thanks, and I will pass along info when I get the controller.

Reply to
MF