Who sleeps under an electric blanket?

Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?
http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm
Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of a licensed electrician.
http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm
And cellphones?
Metspitzer wrote:

blanket next to a clock.
I'm typing this sitting in front of two computers on a wireless keyboard sitting next to a wireless network hub and a cordless phone with an electric warming blanket on my lap.
I keep an iphone in my pocket, next to my heart playing mp3's as I stand in front of the microwave watching dinner go round and round.
I've been an electrical engineer for 40 years, so I'm sure I must have contracted childhood leukemia.
After reading the link, I'm convinced I should just get it over with and electrocute myself.
mike wrote:

When I'm far from civilization out in the woods, I still hear a 60 cycle hum in my ears. I understand it's caused by a newly discovered malady known as EMF induced tinnitus. In Europe people are hearing a 50 cycle hum and reports are coming in from all over the world. Some people who have been in the aviation industry especially military aviation are the few who are hearing a 400 cycle hum. Those who work around DC are hearing random clicks. Certain people within our government are trying to cover this mess up but the word is getting about "Hummers Disease".
TDD
Like Mike, I've spent my entire working life around strong magnetic fields as an industrial electrician, working daily on high voltage lines (often live) and transformers.
But I always wore my tinfoil hat to work, and continue to do so at home, now that I'm retired.
Joe

Think about those guys that work at hydro-electric dams each day eating lunch where the magnetic fields are stronger than anything and doing it for thirty years. Seems to me those guys would be the "canary in the mine" if there was any health hazard from magnetic fields.
--

Roger Shoaf

You are sitting infront of a monitor, computer, and probably wireless modem, you better turn everything off and go outside, no dont do that the sky is falling.
Metspitzer wrote:

I used to have an electric blanket. Never again. Just before falling asleep I heard a small noise and looked and electricity was arcing out of the blanket. Threw it out in the back yard in case it wanted to set the house and me on fire.
Marina wrote:

While my head knows better, my gut still finds the concept of sleeping under an upholstered electric fence to be unsettling. I've never lived in a house so cold an electric blanket was needed. Closest was a college-town slum where I used an unzipped sleeping bag as a quilt on cold nights, and set the mattress and box springs up on a layer of duct-taped cardboard cases of (rinsed) empty beer cans, to provide a thermal break from the asphalt tile over slab floor. (Hey, it was a college town- took maybe an hour to gather the empties, and it was cheaper than buying wood or concrete block. I wasn't like these modern spoiled college students in their condos- I was BROKE all the time.)
-- aem sends...

re: "my gut still finds the concept of sleeping under an upholstered electric fence to be unsettling"
That's what down comforters were invented for.
They're just as comfortable to have on top of you or under you.
Love my down!
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah, but then I can't sleep thinking about all those naked geese freezing to death. besides, I have allergies- I can't even use a feather pillow, or wear a down jacket. Nor can I afford a blanket that cost more than the bed did.
-- aem sends...

re: ...all those naked geese freezing to death..."
As penance for using their down, we let the geese sleep with us.

Aren't there synthetic comforters that are almost as warm as down?
Higgs Boson wrote:

cheaper, more durable and easier to clean, albeit heavier.
-- aem sends...
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:59:46 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

They give them all little electric blankets once they've taken all their feathers off, you know.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

In addition to the electric mattress pad and the electric blanket, I also have a thermal blanket topped by a down comforter. I like it cozy.
mattress pad and the electric blanket,

Yup. I keep my house at 50 degrees so we use both an electric mattress pad and an electric blanket with another blanket over that, topped off with a heavy comforter. I wouldn't say it's "cozy", but we're comfortable once the cats curl up on the pillows. It's like wearing little hats!

It appears that SOME people are more sensitive to EMR than others - and others are just suggestible. A friend of mine swears he feeals much better sinse he got rid of all his wireless phones, cell phone, and devices run by"constant-on" power supplies like TVs and appliances with timers. He's had all his grounds redone on the whole farm and installed whole house filters to get rid of harmonics.
I think it's just placebo effect - he's read it can be a problem, he believes it, and he's done everything within his power to reduce the "effects".
But then again, he may be "sensitive".
Same thing with wind generators. Some people swear they can no longer live in their house 2 miles from a wind generator - while others can live virtually under one with no effects at all.
And the ones that complain about the wind generator may be working with MIG and TIG welders or heavy electrical machinery all their lives and not have any complaints about THAT. - Much higher EMR involved.

Yup. I turn on both the mattress pad and the blanket at 10 and off at 11 when we get in the bed. Of course, since we keep the house at 50F we actually do "need" the extra heat or it's too cold to sleep, even with the 4-5 blankets/quilts.

Good thing you were awake. Who knows what would happen while asleep, during a wet dream.