Who sells a plain old ladder?

split your 28 than you have 2 short ones.

Reply to
calhoun

I was at an auction once and someone brought a half of an aluminum ladder there to sell. I guess they must of broke it, or driven over it or something. Anyhow, no one seemed interested in it, so I bid 50 cents and brought it home. I cut off the cracked ends to make them smooth, and ended up with a 7 foot alum ladder. That thing has gotten more use than I can say. It paid for itself the first time I used it, and I use it all the time. It's light and fits almost anywhere, and fits under the eaves when I painted the garage. The only complaint I had was that the raw ends scratched the siding. Some duct tape wrapped around these ends fixed that problem.

Reply to
me

I inherited a 16 foot ladder made of magnesium. I don't know who made it, but I treasure it for it's extremely light weight and awesome strength. It probably weighs less than half what an aluminum version would weigh.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I was looking for the same thing and, like you, I was surprised that no one seemed to sell a plain straight single-section aluminum ladder. I never did find what I wanted.

After reading the other posts, I started thinking that fire departments use single-section ladders to quickly get up on porch roofs, etc. I don't know where they get them, but my guess is that they are expensive. Maybe you could stop by a local fire station and ask if you can see what they use.

Reply to
AceLink

And you will probably find that they are heavier then whatever ext. ladders you can get at Lowes, etc. are. They have some pretty tough safety standards to meet, and that is mostly done by their strength, which equates to weight.

Reply to
Retiredff

I know you said you wanted a simple straight ladder, but in this case I have a better choice. Someone mentioned a multi position folding ladder. Well that's my two cents. I bought one because I hated dragging out my extension ladder everytime I needed to go above ten feet. So I went to the Borg and bought a Gorilla ladder. It folds up to a tidy 4 ft long unit, it can be used as a step ladder, or with one side longer than another on stairs. I just painted a ceiling on a front porch, with one end on the walkway, and one three steps up on the porch, allowing me to paint from both sides of the ladder, saving me a ton of time and effort. I can seperate the pieces to make two seperate units to set up scaffolding, and it extends into one simple plain ladder from 8ft long up to 12 ft long. After seeing it a lot of the people I know rushed out and bought the same idea ladder. Under $100 bucks, rated for 300 lbs. All in all the best ladder purchase I have ever made.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

I got one of those & it's handy for some things but really heavy and a pain to operate the locking mechanism. It always seems like I'm about to get my finger crunched in the joints and it takes extra space to fiddle with. Really heavy too.

Reply to
Paul Furman

So true. My mother insists on having me us one of those contraptions every time I have to do something at her house, and most times I can get more accomplished faster if I just drove the car up alongside the house and do what I need to do standing on the roof.

Major pains in the ass, those ladders are.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Reply to