who's responsible for invasive plants?

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
My neighbor's ivy is extremely invasive. It has already damaged a rubber tree pretty severely and is doing it's best to take over the rest of the side yard that abuts my neighbor.
Who is responsible for keeping this in check? Does it become my problem the instant it crosses the property line, that is at the center of a 4 foot width of hedge?
I have a friendly relationship with my neighbor but she didn't seem to grasp how much of a problem this is.
Anyone have experience with successfully and hopefully amicably resolving a similar matter?
thanks ml
kzin wrote:

What is on your property is yours to maintain. If the neighbor has dandelions, and the seeds blow onto your lawn, is your neighbor supposed to come over and pull up those that grow?
Just cut the runners, cut what has wrapped around the tree. When you have cut all that you can, then spray regularly when new sprouts arise with Roundup or some such. I've seen ivy strangle sizeable trees, so it should be controlled.
clipped

Just a note that ivy is waxy, so Roundup is most effective on new growth. There are lots of folks who bring their houseplants to Florida and love that they can stick anything in the ground and see it take off. Ivy, asparagus fern, wandering jew, etc., are really crappy in the landscape here. Asparagus fern, like ivy, is just about impossible to get rid of by digging/pulling. Cutting it down and spraying new growth with Roundup is suprisingly effective. It might mean crawling around under hedges, but once under control it's no big deal.
I would be sure to make lots of cuts on the stems of the ivy surrounding the tree - the dead vines can persist long enough to strangle a good tree as it grows. Be sure it is all cut at the base as well.
When you get down to just a few sprouts, just spot treat when there are two or three new leaves. Keep at it and you will be able to keep it contained.
thanks for the suggestions, i will certainly give them a go. ml

If it kills your hedge, then put up a solid wood fence. Because if you have to do so much work and she doesn't care or help, then the heck with her and she can look at a fence.

I found by accident that 24D is extremely effective. I sprayed a batch of bedstraw that was invading the ivy on my retaining wall (RR ties). That killed all the ivey for the next 10 ft. Of couse I'm not sure that it was my spray that did it as the farmer behind me also sprays the field edge.
I may spray the whole patch and see what happens - it is spreadign way out into what passes for lawn.
Harry K

You would be suprised , people with invasive plants have been forced to pay all damages to the harmed. Its her plant, Round UP will kill it, at night you can say you are spraying your weeds. Roundup does not have to be sprayed on her property, only the plants leaves, on your land it will kill it. But Talk to the neighbor first, and have her trim it, or it might just die misteriously, from something like Roundup and you dont know about it.
On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:13:51 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Her Ivy IS invasive to the OP's rubber tree?
Not very likely. Just kill what is on your property. You cannot expect her to clean up your property.

kzin wrote:

    Have you talked to your neighbor about your concern? I will bet if you do you can both arrive at a solution that won't ruin a friendship.

Yes I talked with her. That's how I was able to determine she didn't grasp how much of a problem it is. I did not get into her face and say that she has to do something about it. I told her that her ivy is killing everything it gets into.
I have since spoken with her daughter, who does appreciate that it is a problem and we'll most likely come up with something. Unfortunately I'm probably going to be the one who pays for it though as money seems to be a bit tight for them atm.

In my experience, a neighbor such as yours is a big fake. They smile to your face and all the while are backstabbers/do nothings.

I've never seen an ivy invade a "rubber tree" Are you thinking Banyan tree.
Leave the Ivy alone.

I'm not sure what it is. It was called a rubber tree by the neighbor's daughter. It's not a tree. It's some sort of hedge. It doesn't really matter what it is. The ivy has complely invaded it and several other abutting plants.

Leave it alone? So it can continue killing my hedges? Generally you give pretty good advice from what I've read.. any rationale for just doing nothing and letting this ivy take over all my plants?

We have ruled out a strangler fig and rubber tree. A strangler fig (*) WILL kill a tree. People confuse it with ivy vines. Ivy will not harm the tree, but co-exist with the host tree. Moss, Orchids, Ferns, air plants, etc. do the same.

I like Ivy ground cover.
I won't pretend to tell how to go and cut the ivy back with a machete. Instead of "asking" the neighbor; perhaps state WHAT your plans are.
"I'm going to cut these plants back". It gives them a chance to object. A good explanation of the problem and how I intend to solve it. If they object try plan B.
When I bought my home, the neighbor came over during renovations. She was concerned about her Ivy "on the wall" and asked if it "bothered" us. I said no, but see your two trees? "I intend to cut them away from my roof" She says, OK!
The ivy covers now about sixty feet of wall.
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangler_fig
Oren wrote:

You would have to be blind to confuse a strangler fig with ivy ... s.f. is a tree with multiple, inter- connected trunks. Ivy will strangle a growing tree.

I not convinced ivy "kills" the tree. It is not a parasite that relies on the tree for survival. It does use the tree for support.
I can see how the weight, strong winds, and ice storms would cause branches to break and open the tree to disease.
I'm at an impasse :)
clipped

I've seen ivy kill an oak tree, about 8" diam. The vine surrounds the trunk and as the trunk grows the vine strangles it. Same as girdling.

Ivy causes Girdling? I'm not convinced...
(I'm learning a new term, "Girdling")
:)
You will need to contact YOUR local authorities. In general you get to do most anything you want with any part that grows onto or over your property line. However some areas will not allow you to do anything that will kill or damage their pants and I would guess there are areas where they might be responsible for keeping their plants from growing into your yard.
Is your neighbor only a woman or are there other adults in the household? It might make it easier talking to a second person.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit