Who's in love with their string trimmer?

Page 1 of 3
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas trimmer.
Talk to me.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Well, I love my Shindaiwa T270, but it's gas. For cordless electrics I guess the biggest factor would be sticking with a brand that is likely to have parts available for it in a month or two, which eliminates a lot. Perhaps a Ryobi if they have one, since Ryobi is actually fairly decent for a lot of their stuff.
Not interested in a gasoline unit eh? Well then you might just as well get a pair of sissors out....
Seriously, i'd look into the stihl fs-110

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

batteries for less than $100. I would not recommend as one new battery from a nebulous internet source was $50. I hated to throw out two good machines.

If you can find one that uses a Li-Ion batteries than that would be good but NiMh or NiCd would be heavier and hold less charge. OTOH a longer extension cord will solve the outlet problem.
I had a Troybuilt rechargeable. The battery would not take a charge soon after the warranty ran out. I would not buy another Troybuilt. We moved to an acre and have a gas trimmer now.
cm

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

electric units over time. I would never own another one. I picked up a gas unit maybe 4 or 5 years ago and mix a fresh gallon jug of gas for it each year with quality oil and haven't had a problem yet. The gas unit is also a lot more powerful and the work goes even faster because of that.

I'm seeing a trend in these responses: gas
On Mon, 05 May 2008 19:29:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Weedeater, gas powered, paid $65. Running since 1992. Rechargeable models are just too weak and who wants to play with a cord?

I have to agree. I have a Weedeater model, my neighbour has an older Weedeater model than mine (much older) and they both work beautifully. I have the model with the swivel head that makes trimming edges very easy. I wouldn't do without that.
--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I\'m fast,
snipped-for-privacy@nobody.com writes:

If you have a cord-powered electric lawnmower, you've already got the cord out, and it's already long enough to reach all of the corners of your lawn, so a cord-powered electric trimmer makes sense. That's what I have, and I prefer it to gas lawnmower/trimmer for the small lawns that we currently have.
For larger or complicated lawns, where a cord would be too much of a pain, I'd switch to gas-powered for both. But for a small simple lawn, I prefer the lower maintenance of corded electric equipment. (When I was still a teen and living at home, we always had 2 or 3 gas lawnmowers, and cut our lawn, our grandmother's, and our uncle's lawn. I have plenty of experience with gas mowers).
    Dave
snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

what brand/model electric mower you have?
On May 6, 2:06pm, snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

I have to agree with you Dave. I have an electric mower, electric trimmer, and electric blower. I pull the cord out with the mower, mow, edge, and trim all in about 30 minutes. I prefer them for two very good reasons. First is the noise factor and the second is the SMELL. I hated haveing to end up smelling like a mixture of gas and oil every time I did the yard. I have had gas versions of all of the above and gave them away when I bought the electric. The cord can be a bit of a pain when mowing but once you get down the right pattern, it goes quickly.
writes:

I have to agree with you Dave. I have an electric mower, electric trimmer, and electric blower. I pull the cord out with the mower, mow, edge, and trim all in about 30 minutes. I prefer them for two very good reasons. First is the noise factor and the second is the SMELL. I hated haveing to end up smelling like a mixture of gas and oil every time I did the yard. I have had gas versions of all of the above and gave them away when I bought the electric. The cord can be a bit of a pain when mowing but once you get down the right pattern, it goes quickly.
================== If your gas powered lawnmower smells bad, it's because it's BROKEN. Fix it.

I didn't have to carry the mower around while using it but not the case for the trimmer and blower. Both the blower and trimmer were impossible to use without having the fumes get into your clothes and you. The fuel oil mixture smell like crap and required wearing a filtered mask. Screw that. I won't have another gas powered mower, blower, trimmer or other yard tool.
Now I could start in on the environmental improvement of using the electric but hell, I am no environmental nut.
Sounds like you just need to hire the weedeating and mowing out. You can't handle life.
best stay inside and watch tv.
I didn't have to carry the mower around while using it but not the case for the trimmer and blower. Both the blower and trimmer were impossible to use without having the fumes get into your clothes and you. The fuel oil mixture smell like crap and required wearing a filtered mask. Screw that. I won't have another gas powered mower, blower, trimmer or other yard tool.
Now I could start in on the environmental improvement of using the electric but hell, I am no environmental nut.

I handle life just fine by making choices that suit me, not YOU.
I did hire the mowing and weeding out for a couple of years but got tired of paying an illegal alien better than $50 an hour to do what I could do myself. Now the job is done right, the way I want it done and saves money too.

Due to air quality control, there are days our city ask us not to use any gas operated yard equipment. Some people do smell it and get really sick.

I expect to see more cities and metro areas moving toward banning gas powered yard equipment during certain hours and even for extended periods of high polution as the environmental standards get tighter. That has been proposed in the Houston area and in the DFW area during the summer months.
Your other comment about the woman who could smell cigarette smoke two years later might be a bit on the extreme side of sensitive. I am an ex-smoker who quit thirty years ago and then developed an allergy to cigarette smoke. Getting around it will cause my sinus and lungs to start closing down with symptoms similar to ashma. That is not the case with the gas powered yard tools though, it is simply a preference issue. I don't like the smell, don't like having it penetrate my clothes and since there is a very good alternative, I can avoid it.