Who owns the rain?

Page 2 of 2
Red Green wrote:

-- aem sends...

There's a long discussion in progress about this subject in rec.gardens, in case you're interested in adding your scholarly thoughts. Subject line: Making Rainwater Harvesting Illegal

there's lots of water rights issues and laws in the southwest US. there's all sorts of laws about what happens if you disturb the natural water course to redirect water onto your neighbor's property; these are also written such that you can't prevent natural watercourses from their track to NOT have that water run onto neighboring property. if these laws weren't available, then the colorado river would be diverted and massive parts of the southwest would become uninhabitable, perhaps starting another water war.
charlie wrote:

So the chap who complained about his neighbor's gutter-water being diverted to his property should bone up on New Mexico's Property & Conservation Code, Article 32, Section 56, Paragraph (c)iii (or whatever's applicable in his state)?

yep. in my area, any water entering a property can be diverted anywhere else on the property, but the amount and exit location from the property has to be (roughly) the same.
then again, my neighbor has a wash running through it, which every now and then floods about 3' deep, and runs maybe 15000gps after a heavy long rain. i'd be pretty upset if it got diverted anywhere over my property instead.

There are countless studies and newspaper articles about how population is putting pressure on our dwindling water supply.
Yet, we have MORE GOLF COURSES per capita that are heavily watered ( acre-feet ) per day.
I'll believe there is a water problem when they stop watering the golf courses.

almost every golf course is watered with non-drinking water, most likely effluent from the water treatment plants, or groundwater that has too much arsenic to meet the new water standards (at least in my area).
the outgo from the sewage plants has to go somewhere, and it's against the law to pump it down into the aquifer in most places.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
<RJ> wrote:...

Oh, there's a water problem w/o a doubt; the issue is there's more money behind the golf courses than sense in modifying policy until the problem becomes an insurmountable crisis.
They'll always presume they can steal yet more from others until those being taken from finally get fed up.
It took almost 50 years to finally win the court case(s) (eventually to US Supreme Court) but KS finally beat CO on draining the Arkansas before it left their borders. It's still in litigation w/ NE from the north although there has been some movement by NE that may eventually resolve that case.

A man visits the ocean shore for the first time. Far as he could see was ocean.
His comment: "Somehow, I imagined it would be bigger than that!"
AZ, CA and NV just went through negotiations over the water war.

Ditto for GA, AL, FL. GA wants to keep all the water flow in their state rather than let it flow south to AL & FL. Several recent years of severe drought bought the water war to a head.
Red
Red wrote:

Ga also wants their northern border moved to where it's supposed to be so they can tap the Tennessee River.
Bill wrote:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use a pipe?
HeyBub wrote:

GEORGIA THE N LINE INCLUDES SOME PART OF THE TENNESSEE RIVER.
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2009_10/senate/pressreleases/bysenator/shafer/border_resolution_passes_rules.pdf

It's for the children.

I followed some of the news. FL and GA were on fire!! This is about the same time GA argued about moving the border with TN.
CA has drought now, even with NV water. CA refuses to build desalinization plants.
Don't get me started about how the Corps of Engineers participated in the destruction of the Everglades.
Oren wrote:

to where it is supposed to be.

That is dumb.

HeyBub wrote:

property into the storm drains. The rain water used to go into the river, now it is hooked up to the sewer district. I'll be god dam if they are gonna charge me for rain, sunshine or anything else in nature.
HeyBub wrote:

The who owns sun shine, air?

The United States Federal Government owns the air.
It must be true because they're planning to tax us all for using it (cap and trade).

There's a small town just north of me where it is illegal to sing "It aint gonna rain no mo, no mo,..."