Who owns a Direct Tv Dish? (the company or the home owner)

Page 1 of 2
I have a rental property. The tenants moved out and left a Direct Tv satellite dish on the house. Their lease states that after they give notice to move, and have finally left the premises, any items left on the property become the property of myself (the landlord). These tenants moved a year ago. They keep calling me and saying they want their satellite dish. I have made them aware that they no longer own the thing, and if they attempt to remove it, I will have them prosecuted for trespassing and theft (they left on very bad terms, owing rent money, etc).
Yesterday I was doing some work on the building and I removed the dish, and brought it home with me. First off, I dont want it hanging on the house for no reason, secondly, I dont have to deal with these idiots calling me anymore, and third, I may be able to sell it, "IF" they become property of the homeowner........ That's where my question arises. Are these rented from the Direct Tv company, or do the homeowner (user) buy them? I dont want to sell it if it belongs to the company. Otherwise it goes in my scrap metal pile....
Thanks
Alvin
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:
...snip

They are part of an equipment package provided by DirectTV in exchange for a specified contract. Technically, it would belong to the company if the renters did not complete the terms of their contract.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

I purchased a dish and receiver in a big box store years ago.
I seriously doubt DTV would want to "mess" with the old stuff. Rupert is busy :-)
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

Yup; I agree.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

We could always ask OJ. He paid DTV/Rupert 34K for the hacked cards :)
-- Oren
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:40:16 -0500, alvinamorey wrote:

Just call DD and ask them if they want it. That way you dont have to deal with the hassle. Let DD handle it.
I dont think you can withhold it in lieu of money owed. If there is a renters association where you are call them. Ask them what the laws in your area say.
--
coffee
Linux Registered User #449534
coffee wrote:

He didn't give that as justification for keeping the dish. He had written, "Their lease states that after they give notice to move, and have finally left the premises, any items left on the property become the property of myself (the landlord)."
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

My leases had an "abandonment" clause, after X days.
-- Oren
dish network owns the LNBs, and receivers, everything else is low value and stays with the home
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Take another peek at the subject line and get back to us on that. I don't believe Dish owns anything mentioned here in this case.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Oct 12, 10:39?pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

my point is that i have specific knowledge of dish having used to be a dealer, and direct is likely the same. the dishes are low priced cheap, and as such companies dont care, return and refurbish will cost more than a new one, and who would want a used dish on their home?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

DirecTV's advertised policy is that you leave the dish and wiring in place when you move, and they will install new ones at your new home for free. That way, when the next resident moves in to the old place, the dish and wiring are already in place.
In fact, when we moved in May, they came out to the new house and replaced the old 2-LNB dish on the new house with a new 5-LNB dish and installed additional wiring for my new HD receiver. And told me to keep the 2-LNB dish they had just uninstalled. It lives in my Motorhome now. The only thing they charged me for was the new HD DVR.
--Steve
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you've written but here's the deal with DirecTV:
There are two avenues for getting equipment such as receivers and dishes: 1) you can buy it direct at Circuit City (or other distributors similar to it like Best Buy or a bunch of places online). If you do, you own the equipment. 2) you can get free from a multitude of sources but if you do there will be a minimum service agreement required while DirecTV retains ownership. If you don't meet your end of the bargain there are some pretty stiff penalties. But you can get them to come out to the house and install a multi-room system free.
All of that being said, I believe DirecTV retains ownership of the card no matter how you obtain it.
As for the former, I know for a fact that this is true as I own all my own equipment and have also installed a four receiver system in my father's house that my brother and I gave him for Christmas. Now he owns the system... not DirecTV (except the cards, of course).
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:07:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Quote "Who owns a Direct Tv Dish?"
An old dish is worthless. The latest dishes have 5 LNBs and have to be aimed to receive all 5 satellites. The OP was only concerned about the dish (the box was probably taken by the renter).
---MIKE---

---MIKE--- wrote:

Only if you want hi-def channels. Dual LNBs are still fine for standard def channels.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Basic rule in real property: If a tenant attaches something to the property (like a fence), it becomes the property of the property owner.
Say your tenants installed a central air conditioning system on which they still owed money. Yours? Theirs? or the HVAC companies?
The HVAC company has a legal action against the renter, not you. The renter has a claim against you, but, in lieu of principle #1 above, it doesn't amount to much.

away, scrap it, try to give it back to Direct TV, whatever you want.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:40:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

have a card that has a valid subscription, they won't work anyway.
You might be able to find someone that knows how to hack them, but I don't think the boxes are worth much un hacked.

Cards will not; also, transcend receivers - memory/EPROM. The card is a real computer. Initialize it and it writes to the card - associates a receiver to a card, thus subscription.
They gave millions of dishes away.
-- Oren