Who Makes The "Best" Smoke Detectors These Days ?

Hello:
Will be replacing several really old smoke detectors (the AC wired-in type) in a house we just bought.
Would like to get the "best" available.
Is there any concensus regarding who makes the best units these days ?
My local home Depot stocks only Kidde, apparently made in China. Should I go with these ?
What about First Alert, Firex, etc. ?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
B.
Consumer Reports rated them, go online.
buy a bunch of cheap ones. they cant all fail....
randy

one to "fail sensitive" to ruin your sleep. I finally disconnected the interconnects on my (12) Firex alarms because the damn things would go off at least once a week in the middle of the night -- just long enough to wake everybody in the house up, and then stop. Fun shit. No problems now that they're operating as stand-alone units. Hated to kludge the system, but it seemed safer than tossing all dozen of the *%&*%*&!!! things out in the trash.
Kidde's are UL listed, and a lot of electronics come from that direction now, including otherhousehold names eg GE/Philips etc Web site shows how big they are: http://www.kiddeus.com/Home.shtml