Who Makes The BEST Appliances?

Page 4 of 4

On Mar 3, 8:50 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

I have had very good experiences with Speed Queen.
Add pictures here
✖
Molly Brown wrote:

Hey! I knew her! That was back in my drug days.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 3, 10:50 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

Quality is commercial grade and most manufacturers have them , go see what laundrymats use. Our last set was a maytag commercial set up it lasted 35 years at least. Consumer stuff is made not to last. Just check the weight of a commercial unit to a consumer grade, commercial units have everything heavy duty, just like consumer stuff used to be.
Add pictures here
✖
MICHELLE H. wrote the following:

Sears does not make anything, including their Kenmore and Craftsman products. Check the first 3 letters of the model number and go here to see who made it. http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
MICHELLE H. wrote:

In a completely non-similar vein, I've wondered about something.
It's hard for the novice to tell an appliance brand just by looking at it - almost all refrigerators are taller than they are wide - and the manufacturer's logo is often quite discrete.
So, then, to impress your guests (or mother-in-law), why not replace the manufacturer's subtle logo with one from a junked VERY up-scale brand (LG?)?
You could even get an "Electrolux" logo from a defunct vacuum cleaner and slap it on your Sunbeam fridge (use Liquid Nails).
Add pictures here
✖

Probably that information can even quickly and easily be acquired online. At least here in Germany, the German equivalent of Consumer Reports (called "Stiftung Warentest" here) makes their entire stock of current and past tests / reviews available online via their website. It's not free, but not really expensive either: Just search their website for, say, comparison tests of dryers, and for only 0.99 EUR you can download the whole review along with all tables, graphs and pictures in PDF format, just as it appeared in their printed magazine.
I would be surprised if Consumer Reports in the US wouldn't offer a similiar, convenient online service.
Greetings, Nils
Add pictures here
✖
Michelle: You have probably figured out by now that folks have a few "opinions" on this subject. This is partly because of the fact that several of the old "tried and true" brand names have had their companies raided by accountants and mergers. All I can offer are observations from personal purchase and business associations:
- Amana used to be top of the line and they (Amana/Raytheon) literally invented the microwave. The brand has fallen victim to engineering-by- accountant. - The good old reliable Maytag brand has fallen to a similar fate. A couple of dealers in our area that have handled Maytag for decades have discontinued. - When we built our house 1-1/2 years ago we went with a mix of Bosch (diswasher) and GE (Gas Range, Microwave). Very happy. - We looked at LG and were very impressed. The local dealer told us that the equipment was very high quality; and the service folks were impossible to deal with.
As said, our GE/Bosch arrangement seems to be working fine,
RonB
Add pictures here
✖
RonB wrote:

Hi, Not only in appliance world, it happens every where. As a brass player I own vintage Besson horns. Besson is still in the market but ownership moved to Germany from England and they are made in China under German supervision. What the hell does it mean? I currently have GE/Whirlpool, so far no problems after more than 15 years in use.
Add pictures here
✖

And the 15 year old machines that have given you no trouble are absolutely no indicationthat today's machines with the same label might be anywhere near as dependable.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 20:07:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Newer machines might just as easily be MORE dependable than older ones.
Add pictures here
✖