Who Makes The BEST Appliances?

Page 1 of 4

Would love to here opinions on what company makes trouble-free appliances, that are built to last and not break down right away for many years?
Here's the thing. Our 25 year old "Magic Chef" dryer is finally on it's last legs. One of the things wrong with it, is that its takes about 2 hours to dry 1 load of wet clothes, but the main thing is that the drum is rubbing against the dryer door, and its causing metal to grind on metal, and little SHARP shards of METAL get all over the clothes, lint trap, inside of dryer, etc, etc.
So for the time being its off to the laundry mat while we shop for a new dryer. We have had problems with other brand new appliances in the past. About 6 years ago, when we bought a brand new "Frigidaire" refrigerator, we had 2 problems with it in LESS than a years time!!! 2 months after we bought it, the freezer section wasn't keeping the frozen foods cold/frozen, and "Frigidaire" had their repair man install an "insulation kit" for the freezer. 6 months after owning the fridge, the COMPRESSOR went on the thing, and the repair guy tried to milk us out of $178 dollars for a new compressor, even though its was under warranty, and he left all mad.
We had a 2 year old "Kenmore" washing machine that had to have the agitator replaced after only 2 years!!!
So anyway we want to buy a QUALITY made appliance this year, and so I have asked friends for suggestions, and they all say that either "Whirlpool" or "Maytag" are the BEST appliances that are durable, and need repairing the least.
We were thinking about either "Maytag" or "GE Profile", but my friend says that she has a "GE Profile" dryer, and it only worked good for about 2 years, before the belt started squealing, and the bearings had to be replaced.
Is "GE Profile" a junky appliance? Are "Whirlpool" and "Maytag" really the best? What about our "Magic Chef" dryer that has lasted for 25 years? Does "Magic Chef" still make good, quality appliances?
Any thoughts and opinions would greatly be appreciated!!!
Thanks!
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:50:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

Fisher & Paykel
Actually our dryer is an "Admiral 20" dryer, manufactured by the "Magic Chef" Corporation. It was made in June 1985!!!!!
We got 25 years out of this "Admiral 20" dryer made in June 1985, so I guess the ole' saying is very much true:
"They don't make stuff like they used too!!!".
Well, boys, that changes everything. Everyone retype your replies.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 03/03/10 12:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

<snip>
When we were looking for a new dishwasher about three years ago, I did read up on Fisher & Paykel but found far too many complaints, especially for an appliance in that price range.
Perce
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:55:27 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

You can find internet complaints about any brand. I have their washing machine. After 10 years, the pump started to drip. I got a new pump at the local dealer for the same price as it was advertised on the internet. $74. Nice design. Didn't even need any tools whatsoever to remove the old pump and install the new pump in about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile the machine cost less than half what a typical frontloader costs, yet has all of the energy and water saving advantages. In fact it has a few advantages beyond the advantages of a front loader. It doesn't require special expensive soap, either.
Fisher & Paykel has not been marketed in the U.S. for very long, but this is a very well known company with a long history and reputation for quality and innovation in other parts of the world.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote the following:

I have a 10 year old Kenmore (Whirlpool) Dryer. Recently, a propane burner relay died on it and I got a new relay at the local appliance store. It did require a screwdriver to remove and replace. The Kenmore (Whirlpool) washer and dryer I have look like brand new, including the tubs, except for the white plastic panel parts on the control panel getting slightly discolored.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Electrolux

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:12:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

We replaced our contractor special with an Electrolux a year ago. We love the thing. It was laid out by someone with a brain, is almost totally silent, and cleans like a champ. We just bought an Electrolux 'fridge to go with it.
MICHELLE H. wrote:

I'd stay clear of Magic Chef, if they are still in business. There quality went way down, probably shortly after you bought yours.

Personally I would avoid all the electronic solid state controlled appliances and go for the good ol' turn the knobs and press start. Much less to go wrong.
My whirlpool washing machine (was here when I moved in; 1994) did have a couple problems. Motor needed oiling. And laster, the timer would stick. Had to spray that with some kind of electrical cleaner, and relube it.
I'd not want a computer controlled one.
I vote Whirlpool for simple and the parts are inexpensive.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 03/04/10 07:58 am, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You surely aren't suggesting that a 21st century Whirlpool (or any othe brand) appliance will last as long as an 1940s one, are you?
Perce

maybe not the 1940's but certainly the 1960-1980s.
On 03/04/2010 06:33 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I'd take that bet. I don't think anything made today for a reasonable price will last as long as quality but consumer-grade appliances made through the early 70's at least.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Certainly is NOT true of cars. In the 1960's and 1970's a car with 100,000 miles on it was noteworthy, and usually a rusted out wreck that needed constant tuneups and repairs. Today, you buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla (the cheapest models) and EXPECT 200,000 if you just remember to change the oil,

100,000 miles on it was noteworthy, and usually a rusted out wreck that needed constant tuneups and repairs. Today, you buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla (the cheapest models) and EXPECT 200,000 if you just remember to change the oil,
I have a 15 yr old Saturn...it has every original component except the generator, waterpump, and belt-tensioner (minus tires, brakes, battery, belt) never had to change any light bulb. About $300 in parts and my labor. Not bad for an American car. (and please don't tell me it's an Opel)
bob
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:38:16 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

ALL cars are more reliable and longer lived than they were in the 60's and 70's. They don't even rust out any longer.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Snort. My 05 Caravan is already getting rust-through on the leading edge of the hood. Only 50k miles.
-- aem sends...

Voyagers ('85 and '90) were toast by 100K. Chrysler has always made crap.