Who makes good microwaves these days?

Page 2 of 2

| On 2/22/2010 12:22 AM, Pete C. wrote: | > | > Nate Nagel wrote: | >> | >> I've seen recommends here for Sharp, and I had an ancient Amana for | >> years that I eventually got sick of moving (it was big and HEAVY) but | >> still worked. | >> | >> Any other brands worth considering? | >> | >> The current nuker has started putting out a distinct burning electronics | >> smell when using, so I'm not real nuts about keeping it around. | > | > The only one I would avoid would be Panasonic (or any matsuSHITa brand). | > I have a basic Sharp unit in my kitchen that works well, I also have a | > tiny little GE branded unit that I put in my camper which also works | > well. | I'd also avoid Kitchen-Aid. We figured with their reputation for quality that | it was worth the incrementally higher price compared to competitive models with | the same specs and features. About 9 months later, while it was still under | warranty, it died. Acted as if it had been unplugged. I called the customer | service number and they said I needed to ship it to their repair facility - at | my expense (nothing near me I could drive to.) The original box it came in must | have come off a large shrink wrapped pallet because it was much too flimsy to | use for shipping. Even without shipping materials, it weighed about 33 lbs. I | figured the cost of purchasing a sturdy container plus shipping and insurance | would have been more than 1/2 the purchase price, making the warranty | effectively worthless.
I had a similar experience with a Cuisinart microwave that failed within the warranty period. Not only would I have to pay for return shipping but I was supposed to enclose a payment for them to ship it back to me. Even if I had been within driving range of the repair facility they would not let me drop it off. They explicitly said that the original box was not suitable for shipping.
In forth:

I've had excellent lick with our Whirlpool Gold Series micro/convection oven. I recommend the micro convection if you can afford the extra cost
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:25:04 -0500, Nate Nagel

Sharp / GE. The both make cut-rate models but have some nice middle of the road models. I have a Warm and Toast sharp carosel that doubles as a convect/toaster oven and an 1100 watt GE. Both are 5 years old now and get used daily without problems. The GE will pop a 3.5oz popcorn bag in a lot less time than the popcorn button runs for so you have to be carefull.
Nate Nagel wrote:

I think microwaves are pretty much commodity items these days and differ only around the margins with seldom used features (like a setting for broiling yak).
I'd go with the cheapest that matched your other requirements (size, power, color).

What I do is to pick one up at a garage sale or thrift store for $20 and call it a day.
On 02/22/2010 06:07 PM, Roger Shoaf wrote:

Wrong season, there's still several feet of snow in my front yard :/
Also, I'm pretty sure the design department will hold out for stainless steel.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You've got lots of imput. I'd be sure to go around and use other people's microwaves to check for ease of use. You shouldn't have to push numerous buttons or have the manual handy to get things to work. It should be 1-button, intuitive operation most of the time.
Then, get plenty of power.
On 02/22/2010 07:16 PM, mike wrote:

I see that... I am going to drag the design department to go shopping as soon as she gets home from work. She'll have the final say on ergonomics or appearance. the reason for my post was really to see if there were any brands to stay away from or any that were really preferred...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

1. Don't buy a brand you have never heard of. Yeah, I know, they are all probably made in the same five factories, but a 'name' brand will sell easier at your garage sale. 2. All else, like power/size/weight, being equal, trust The Force. Pretend it is a tool for your shop, and look at it with your hands. They will tell you which one feels like quality goods, and which one like crap. Latches and handles and touchpads that feel flimsy, probably are. If the platter looks like it will break if you look at it wrong, it probably will. 3. IMHO, the fewer buttons on the control panel, the better. Micros should not require a training course to operate. Most of the bells and whistles never get used anyway. I thought I would miss having a turntable in the built-in micro that came with the house, but the cavity and the stirrer in the top of the box were evidently designed correctly- no problem with burns or cold spots. Some random GE over-the-stove that came with the place, maybe 12 years old?
-- aem sends...

Right, because your Google is broken.

Right, because your Google is broken.
It seems safe to assume you're not shopping for anything Wal-Mart doesn't carry. -----
- gpsman
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:55:19 -0800 (PST), gpsman

Big mistake. Generally the advice is if Wallmart carries it, keep looking. IF you can find one not made in China it's a good start. Korean is better than taiwanese, which is better than Chinese, on the whole. Japanese is still better. Anything with an american brand-name is LIKELY made in China - so check closely. Some of the better Mexican stuff is pretty good - usually has a Japanese brand name.