Who makes good microwaves these days?

Page 1 of 2

I've seen recommends here for Sharp, and I had an ancient Amana for years that I eventually got sick of moving (it was big and HEAVY) but still worked.
Any other brands worth considering?
The current nuker has started putting out a distinct burning electronics smell when using, so I'm not real nuts about keeping it around.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I read that Sharp makes something like 75% of all microwaves, no matter the brand on the housing. At work we have a $69 GE from Wal-Mart and it works well. Depends on how fancy you want to get and what features you really use.
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

attracted me was the rounded back inside cabinet, which is a cinch to clean. It defrosts frozen meat and softens a stick of butter perfectly, with no hot spots at all. I love it. Has a one minute button, hit it as many times as you wish for minutes at full power. Has special defrost button for entrees and button for popcorn, which I haven't tried.
Add pictures here
✖

real tempted to buy another one if and when this one fails. It was not cheap but it's been worth every penny.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 21, 10:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We have a Panasonic about 10 years old, been flawless.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My mother has a Sanyo microwave that is I believe around 25 years old and still going strong.
Add pictures here
✖

I like my Panasonic Inverter. 1300 w.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

I have the same...only querk, green display is too dim. I have many other Panasonics with no problems: digi-cam, digi- camcorder,VHS,BluRay player. If you buy GE, Hotpoint, or Kenmore (at least in the past) you would be buying a Samsung. (good product IMHO)
bob
Add pictures here
✖

I have the same...only querk, green display is too dim. I have many other Panasonics with no problems: digi-cam, digi- camcorder,VHS,BluRay player. If you buy GE, Hotpoint, or Kenmore (at least in the past) you would be buying a Samsung. (good product IMHO)
bob
So, I guess the best answer is just to buy a brand name, and not one of the $59 cheepos.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Our home (2001) came with a GE Profile microwave over the range. In 2004, the turntable stopped turning and I had to replace the gear motor. It was a $30 part, and quite accessible from underneath. The replacement motor died again a few weeks back. Again, the $30 new gearmotor did the trick. In both instances, it was the plastic gears that wore and broke. It's just a FWIW.
--
Nonny

✖
Steve B wrote:

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
✖

Heh... I've either been to or called) Target, Sears, Best Buy, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond (really, that's where the "where sold" button on Sharp's web site told me to go) a local appliance store, and two kitchen stores in the past two days and all I seem to be able to find is GE or LG or rebrands of the above. And of course if you look at reviews online it would appear that people are not real happy with those brands.
The selection available is really for shit. This is starting to remind me of my quest to find a decent dehumidifier a while back.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
N8N wrote:

Target (here) has a very small Panasonic microwave. I am not totally pleased with the size, mainly because it is very light and moves around when you open and close the door. But still, it is better than anything else I could find locally in a hurry. I have and will again order a larger unit from Amazon.
In case you are wondering, the draw is the inverter technology, which means the unit doesn't cycle on and off to achieve different power levels.
--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

The only one I would avoid would be Panasonic (or any matsuSHITa brand). I have a basic Sharp unit in my kitchen that works well, I also have a tiny little GE branded unit that I put in my camper which also works well.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/22/2010 12:22 AM, Pete C. wrote:

it was worth the incrementally higher price compared to competitive models with the same specs and features. About 9 months later, while it was still under warranty, it died. Acted as if it had been unplugged. I called the customer service number and they said I needed to ship it to their repair facility - at my expense (nothing near me I could drive to.) The original box it came in must have come off a large shrink wrapped pallet because it was much too flimsy to use for shipping. Even without shipping materials, it weighed about 33 lbs. I figured the cost of purchasing a sturdy container plus shipping and insurance would have been more than 1/2 the purchase price, making the warranty effectively worthless. I opened it up and noted that the instrument fuse on the electronic control panel had blown. Nothing appeared to be overheated (no melted insulation, discolorations or burnt odors. Replaced the fuse and we were back in business for about 10 days. Then the same thing happened. Trashed the thing and have been doing just fine with a cheapo Emerson I bought at the store with the red bull's eye logo.
Add pictures here
✖

Kitchenaid counter top appliances One Year warranty is simple: Send them the old one and they send you a new one. They even take care of the shipping arrangements for returning the old unit.
Oh, yeah... The replacement comes with a FRESH one year warrantee. They really don't have to do that, but they do.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/22/2010 11:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Here it is on their website for all to see:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/page/customer-service-warranties
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/22/2010 1:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

they had lots of complaints (I know they had mine) and must have decided that if they wanted to maintain their reputation, they needed to beef up their warranty.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, I'm sure they completely changed the way they do business based on your advice!
Add pictures here
✖