Who loves or hates their string trimmer?

Page 1 of 3
Buying a house, putting up a fence shortly thereafter, and that'll complicate things for the two adjoining neighbors whose lawns meet mine. It's now a seamless property line, easy to mow, and I'm gonna throw a stick in the gears. I promised the neighbors I'd manage the extra work. Time to buy a gas powered string trimmer. Looking for recommendations or warnings from those of you who are either VERY pleased with, or disgusted with your trimmer.
Doug Kanter wrote:

I have an Echo SRM-2200 that I bought many years ago. I might should have bought the SRM-2500 to get a little more power for the same weight, but the 2200 handles everything I need it for (it didn't do too well cutting mesquite saplings, but I'm not sure anything would) It is still going strong, although I did have to replace the carburetor about 5 years ago after I gummed it up good using Homelite oil.
Just get something with a straight shaft (vastly increases the chance that you get a clutch and a solid driveshaft, not a flex shaft) that can take both metal blades and a bump-feed head with .095 string. Make sure it's comfortable to hold and not too heavy. My father bought a huge Echo trimmer and it's too heavy and awkward for any of us to use.
BTW, a metal "weed blade" is great for keeping the lawn under control during long rainy spells when it's too muddy to use the lawnmower.
Bob
Doug Kanter wrote:

Why gas?
I have a Robi gas trimmer and after spending more time trying to start it, especially the first time each year) I both a 18V B&D trimmer (came with a blower hand hedge clippers in a kit). It does not have the power the gas one had, but I will never try to start that gas thing again.
This thing has plenty of power and capacity. It came with three batteries and I can trim, and use the blower to clean up and even do some hedge trimming all on the same battery and so no sign of slowdown.
No more mixing gas, fighting with a motor that does not want to start. The new tools are lighter and much easier to use than the ones they are replacing.
Frankly I was very pleasantly surprised. I did not expect them to be nearly as good as they have been, rather I hoped I could get buy with them.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

No patience for extension cords, and I wasn't aware that there were rechargable models available. Haven't shopped yet.

they seem to work long enough these days, you can get an honest 1/2 our out of them, but they are heavy. about as heavy as a 25cc gas powered one. and i suspect they wont last as long even if you take care of them.
randy
xrongor wrote:

Mine with the battery is lighter than my gas model. As for how long it may last, only time will tell.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:24:16 GMT, Joseph Meehan

For someone like me, with very little in the way of edging, I think this would work extremely well.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

with
gas
I have a Ryobi. A couple drops of stabil in the fuel tank and a short run makes for easy starting after winter storage.

them.

start
Sounds reasonable. It works fine for my outboard motor and lawnmower.
I got a Homelite for free at one of the big box stores that is now out of busness (Builder Square? No, some other blue one I think). Free if you spent like $300 on other stuff that I needed anyway.
Anyway, its a gas model. Curved shaft. If I were shopping for one I would have gone Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna (Do they make em?), or Red-Max.
I keep waiting for this one to die so I can buy a real one. It always starts, cuts well and has served my purposes with regular use for 8 years. I never store it over winter with gas in it. The only thing I have replace is string and new knob on the head that wore out (About $5). No new plug, no tune-up, no carb work, not even a fuel or air filter.
I have used a nicely built Echo but now cannot get it started. Its not mine and hasn't been used much and has been stored over winter with gas in it. It will not start now.
So, my point is. Get one with the features you want and take reasonable care of it it should last a long time. If you get an expensive one and don't care for it it will become a boat anchor in a year or two.
My feature list for the one I will get when this one finally dies: - .09 or better string size - Brush blade option - Uses same gas/oil mix as Husqvarna chain saw - Fair availability of replacement heads since thats what wears out first IMO
-B

stick
Roundup and a propane torch less work then a trimmer, My Sthil is rusting away an I dont miss it.
I like a scythe, though around a solid fence it might be difficult.
If you have a field to knock down, nothing is more fun.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

No Doug roundup twice a year, beats the hell out of smelling 2 stroke and looks 10x beter when burned black. plus im a pyro
Actually doug there are stronger products then roundup, they keep new growth away for 1 yr. Now did I say 5 times a month, No .
That's about how often I need to mow, for at least 4 months out of the year.

Doug Kanter wrote:

I use it in some places, and generally it takes about two applications a year.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Is the result DEAD grass, or grass which simply doesn't grow?
It kills what you spray and doesnt affect other plants through the soil It kills grass and weeds, in 2 weeks they are brown and burn nicely. I have 70 trees and alot of gardens I cover plants with buckets and spray what i dont want weeds and all. Around trees i spray. After 2 weeks or so I use a propane cane- torch and burn everything dead. Its saved me 2 hrs of waisted work a week and looks better as a black edge. Before planting plants I spray then burn, easy and quick. Ive not regretted dumping my weed wacker, since its broke I dont care. Before roundup chemical soil migration was a problem , you could kill anything down slope. Its also rainsafe in 1 hr. If you want to try it concentrate sprayed through a garden sprayer is best. I use a slightly higher concentration , and big weeds need more than grass. But it can kill a tree if sprayed directly on it. Use when calm.
That answers my question. The stuff's not appropriate. What I (and my neighbors) want to see is trimmed green, not dead brown. Chemicals don't have much of a chance in my bag of tricks anyway, since it's impossible to test them to prove their safety.