Who is responsible for tree trim and removal?

Page 2 of 2
Bob wrote:

Same here
Harry K

In my city and I think most, the city is responsible for city trees (on or abutting your property) and trims them once a year or so but you say there is still a lot of hurricane damage around indicating they may still be overwhelmed by other priorities. If you live in the county (unincorporated land), the services provided may be quite a bit less than those available in the city.
Also in my city a permit is not needed if less than X% of the canopy is pruned. You may get off cheaper by pruning two years in a row rather than all at once. As for the removal, they may waive the fee if you can show the tree is irrevocably damaged by the hurricane and that it is a city tree.
My horribly politically incorrect advice is to tie it to your bumper in the middle of the night and pull it down to the middle of the street then go to bed and wait for chainsaws to wake you in the morning.

Have the County's ARBORIST come out and SEE the problem and talk it over with him. You can't do this over the phone.

No go. Talked to the county's tree section and they don't come out. They will only come out if you apply for a tree removal permit, and you pay $150 per tree for the permit then they will come out and look at it to decide. If a permit is issued then you need to pay someone else to remove it.
MC

A couple of points. First, the responsibility *may* be yours. Is it really on the County property, or only in the right-of-way (which means it's really your property that the county gets to use for public thorofare)? In the case of public sidewalks, for example, many municipalities require the homeowner to maintain the public sidewalk in front of their residence. Your trees may be falling into that same situation.
Secondly, if the trees are a safety hazard, depending on whose responsibility they actually are, that can be good or bad for you. If they fall and cause damage or injury, now we're talking negligence because you (or they) are aware of the problem and failed to rectify it. If you determine that it's the county's problem, you might want to stress that point in your conversations with them. If they're your trees after all, I'd do one of two things. Either bite the bullet & take them down or two, wait for a good hurricane to knock them down. If the latter, the insurance company will pay for the removal.
JF
wrote in message

falling tree but the cost of removal is mine, they say. This from when a tree fell on my garage. They did pay to get the tree off the garage but then it was mine to deal with.
wrote in message

Insurance companies will not pay for tree removal. At least not in south Florida. I had two trees down in another property after Wilma and if they fell on some structure then it will be paid by windstorm but the actual tree cutting and removal is not reimbursable. The only aspect of tree removal that is reimbursable is FEMA will pay for a chainsaw for you to cut down the tree if your income level is low.
MC
miamicuse wrote:

They told you to cut the trees. That *is* your permit.
I like the idea of knocking it down in the middle of the night. You'll need a big truck for that.
Best regards, Bob

If you're not willing to hassle your elected officials about removeing the permit requirement, why are you complaining to us?