Who Is Responsible For My Neighbors Tree Hanging In My Yard?

Page 1 of 3

My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.
Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?
Ron wrote:

In general, you can trim the branchs back to the property line as long as you don't destroy the tree in the process. Unless the tree is an obvious danger due to rot, damage, etc, in most places in the US the neighbor isn't legally obligated to trim it if its just branches extending over the property line.

Well that sucks if I have to pay to have it pruned. Although I can touch the branches the limbs are about 30 ft up. I'm probably looking at about (guessing) $400 if not more.

You don't need to cut off the whole limb, and that really wouldn't be reciommended anyway. Just trim what you can easily reach yourself, and it will be out of your way.

You must have made a great BB player. Able to reach 30 feet!

SQLit wrote:

The part that needs to be cut is about 30 up. The limb(s) are so long that they can't support their own weight and they (2 of them) are now hanging over my lawn and I can touch them.

Stop whining and just cut what you can reach from a stepladder for cry-eye. Then it won't be within your reach, or in your way.
Sheesh!
Mys Terry wrote:

Jeesh, the whole deal wasn't worth writing about in the first place. A pruning saw on a pole will take branches off pretty quick, at least to the point that they won't poke anyone walking beneath. If the funds are available a professional arborist can prune the tree, shape it, take out bad wood and make it look gorgeous. Also helps the lawn. That could be a joint effort and make for a positive neighborly relationship - well worth having.
Mys Terry wrote:

Look smart-ass, that won't solve the problem! The limbs are about 40' long and are growing DOWNWARD. The entire limb(s) ( I just counted 5 of them), which are about 30' UP need to be cut off.
The tree needs to be pruned correctly, PERIOD. I suppose your "home improvements" are done half assed, huh?
BTW, standing on a ladder, with a chainsaw on a lawn, is about the stupidest, unsafe thing I've ever heard of, idiot!

Maybe years of therapy and strong medications will solve YOUR problem. Maybe they won't.

Sez you!

Stop whining, asswipe. Everybody here is already quite tired of your incessant wailing. You really are a helpless mess. If you need the tree "pruned correctly" in the approved anal retentive manner that is so important to you, just shut your stupid pie hole and hire somebody already. Leave us out of it.
Mys Terry wrote:

Did someone MAKE you respond to my posts? Answer, NO!
Betcha gonna respond to this post too, right? Friggin' hilljack.

Go away. Everyone will thank you, crybaby. We don't care about your fussy little hissy fit problems. Tell it to Oprah.
Mys Terry wrote:

I knew you couldn't help yourself, hilljack......LMAO!
If you have pinned up frustrations, why don't you take it out on your gay lover, "Mys Terry".
It's 10:47 EST on a Sat night, shouldn't you be working, drag-queen?
Mys Terry wrote:

BTW, hilljack, drag-queen, YOU are the only bitching. LOL!

Chill, man. We don't need this. His advice may have annoyed you, but it wasn't foul.
Oh, my reply further down was posted already.

mm wrote:

Who is we?

So, using the terms "stop whining", "cry-eye", "sheesh" "asswipe", "incessant wailing", "a helpless mess", "anal retentive", "shut your stupid pie hole", etc, in a response is only annoying advice?
Do you think "Mys Terry" AKA "Drag-queen" would speak to someone like that in person, say - at a Home Depot? Of course not.
I didn't speak to "Mys Terry" AKA "Drag-queen" like that and I don't deserve being spoken to like that for asking a legitimate question.
"Mys Terry" AKA "Drag-queen" is just another typical smart-ass on USENET that feels the need to try and belittle a person behind the anonymity of their keyboard. Something they would never do in person, face to face, because they would get a beat-down.
On top of that, her / he-shes, advice was stupid and unsafe, as written below. Hell, a 5 yr old knows not to stand on an unstable ladder with a chainsaw!
And, after speaking to my neighbor on Sunday, she said it is her tree and she will have it taken care of. So for the 3? naysayers in this thread put that in your pipe and smoke it. God forbid if a neighbors 150' tall 5 ft' in diameter oaktree ever breaks in half and blocks your driveway and the insurance company tells you they aren't paying for it because it was an act of god.
Don't forget to oil that chainsaw.
Also, mm, I wasn't going to post to this thread again but since you seemed to want to add fuel to a fire thats been out for 3 days, what the hell. : )

Look at that. Ron is STILL whining like a spoiled brat. I'll bet that when he takes a dump, he carries it around in a plastic baggie so he can show it off to everyone.
Mys Terry AKA Drag-queen wrote:

Sorry, I wouldn't carry you anywhere. LOL!

You're mixing words used before the post of yours that I replied to with words that came afterwards. Any of the vulgar ones in your list came after the post of yours that I replied to. You started it with "smart-ass"

And you, would you call someone at Home Depot "smart-ass"?

You called him "smart-ass", jackass.

You may have learned words like this when you were a rebellious 12-year old, but if you own a house, you're old enough to cut it out, especially in places like this where almost no one uses such language until the other guy does.

From you! If you ask me, you should be more worried that you forget you don't have a monitor in front of you when you call someone dumb-ass. You may get the beat-down.

You don't read very well either. He didn't say you should use a chainsaw with the ladder. He just said you should get a ladder. You don't know he was talking about a chainsaw. I figured he meant a pruning saw.
And why should it be unstable. People set up their ladders so they are stable. Don't know about you, but I know where to borrow a 15 or 20 foot step ladder. With 4 legs.

If a healthy tree falls in a storm, it is an "act of God", whether God did it or not. Read your policy.
If a sick or old tree that should have been trimmed or cut down, by arborist statndards, falls and damages a neighbor's property, the owner of the tree is liable, and his insurance company has to to pay the injured property.
This has been the law for hundreds of years.

That's what people do. They cut up the tree and give it away for firewood

No one had posted, but I did when I saw your reply. I don't check this list every day, and certainly not so far up as this is now.

mm wrote:

Wrong. Read the thread in order.

If someone said "stop whining" you "cry-eye" and prune the tree, "sheesh". Yep I sure would. And that's probably not all I would say.

Are you a 12 yr old? That's 2 insults from you now, one in your last post. And the he-she STARTED with the insults. Read the thread.

Once again, the drag-queen started with the insults.

Never called the he-she a "dumbass".

Oh, another insult. That's 3. What are you 12? I believe in a direct response to you I stated I have a small oak, which I kept pruned with my chainsaw. Which would lead me to believe to use what I have, a chainsaw.

On a LAWN. 3" thick St Augustine, 3" of top soil below that, and then sand. Don't think a ladder would be to stable on that.

Where did I say anything about damage? I said blocking your driveway, which the insurance will not pay for.

Not in Fla, especially afer all of the hurricanes we have had in the past 2 yrs. Wood / trees were piled in yards and streets 8 month after the 3 canes hit my area in 2004. FEMA at it's best.

And you just had to drudge it up huh. Apparently those "vulgar" words don't seem to bother you too much since YOU keep bringing the thread back up.