Who is my best bet to contact to solve water leak problem?

Hello to all -

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above. I have tried eveything I can think of to find & solve the leak. Checked the door, the chaulking, the fixtures on the wall outside, the gutters... and I give up. So, who/what type of service person is best suited to 1) FIND the stupid leak, and then 2) FIX the stupid thing. A home inspector was suggested, or a water-proofing company. Not sure the inspector would be right, and I think of a water-proofing company for structural/foundation problems. Am I worng? And if anyone knows of someone good in the NoVa/DC area, all the better. Suggestions? TIA...

Reply to
Whodat

What's outside that sliding door? Something that would direct water towards the wall?

Reply to
bowgus

Let's see: - there may be a gutter that is leaking - there may be no gutter so the water comes right off the roof - the roof may be leaking - etc

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

There is a deck & a brick step down to the deck. I've chaulked & sealed everything I can see on that junction.

Reply to
Whodat

;-) And thus my problem. It COULD be anything. Now I need to contact someone to tell me what it IS. My question is who would be best to do this. A roofer (the roof is only 5 years old)?

Reply to
Whodat

I'd suggest a forensic engineer or architect. Water infiltration is difficult to trace and to repair. TB

Reply to
tbasc

"Whodat" wrote

You can try the usual method people take, which is, hit & miss. Or, you can get a hold of someone which does _infrared thermography_. Roofing companies that specialize in flat work, use this, some home inspectors, are just a couple examples. Once the source is located, you will know who to call for repair.

OTOH, I had the same problem as you describe. The problem was there wasn't any flashing under the patio door, the water would run back under the sill when it left through the weep holes. A "L" shaped flashing with a small bend for under the door solved the problem.

Reply to
Murray

Big clue there.

You have sliding glass doors on the second floor. Rain hits them and runs down into the tracks ... they are like gutters but, unfortunately, have no drain pipes. The tracks fill with water in no time and the water will (as you know) seek a lower level. Any easy way to keep the rain away from those doors?

Reply to
Charles Schuler