Who does the best wheel alignments?

That can be an advantage or a disadvantage. Chain stores that align and replace parts very often end up replacing parts that are perfectly acceptable, just to make the commission. Had a firestone store condemn a set of ball joints on my old Valliant that were less than 2 months old and perfectly within specs - they just looked at the odometer and said it needed new joints - - - But if they DON'tT replace parts, it means they check the alignment - say it is out of adjustment range or whatever and needs part "A" replaced - you take it to another shop, or home and DIY, bring it back and it is still out of range - it needs part "B" replaced - and on, and on, and on - particularly where damage is known to have occurred. - and it can get quite expensive and irritating.
On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:08:49 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They don't guarantee you won't need parts replaced every time thy look at it though - (whether they are worn out or not)
RobertMacy posted for all of us...
I may not have read all messages.

Obviously they did a crappy job. Suspension inspection is one of the first things to perform. An honorable shop does not sell parts you do not need. The shop makes good money and gets a good reputation from honesty.
A tipoff would have been the fur underneath.
Claire would you agree with this?
--
Tekkie

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 17:37:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, a couple days ago I had the top down about half way, and when I put the top up again, it met the windshield properly.
In 1970, I lent my 1965 Pontiac Catalina convertible to a young guy and within an hour he ran a stop sign in a school zone, because, he said, I pickup camper was parked where he couldn't see the sign.
After that, the pins in the top were at least an inch from the matching holes in the windshield frame. For one or two years. Then they were perfect for one or two years, and then they were just as bad as before for one or two years.
So the fact that the top matched the windshield on this one occasion is encouraging.

I saw that (170 instead of 80, here) and I thought about it, especially in a case like this. in the post I just posted, I talk about how the fame jumped around in a previous car that was hit, so I can see needing more than one alignment.
On 15 Oct 2014 15:17:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I googled for that and couldn't find anything.

I don't know anyone like that. Maybe there are still hot-rod clubs. What would they be called now?

I'll keep looking.

Becaise of my current bad alignment, it would probaboy wear out my tires to go there.
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 23:26:23 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

They took 4 tries fixing my mothers tire before they figured out that it leaked around the valve once, so I stopped going there.
But the guy at Autozone named a guy there who he described in glowing terms.
Oren just said "Kentucky Fried Chicken is not the place to go in Baltimore!". Now that's strange because the other place the same guy recommended was on Rte 40 right next to KFC and close to McDonalds. It has changed its name so he couldn't remember the name, but I can find it. Oren, be assured, I won't go to KFC but to the shop next door.

You're probably right about the dealer being best in this situation. I'm too susceptible to suggestions -- I've noticed this in other situations too -- like this one guy I've never met on a web page I've never heard of who thinks dealers are a bad idea.

Which is the radius rod?
Is that the same as the rear lower control arm, the locating arm, the rear lower suspension arm #1 (I think that's what the shop manual calls it)? I think it has other names too. Makes it hard to shop for it.
micky wrote:

More or less.
--
Steve W.

Definitely. When a car or truck comes in with a stability problem and the owner wants an alignment, the first thing you look for is signs of damage - and deer parts would definitely raise a red flag!!! Then you check the settings - f something is way off you check the related parts for damage. Before doing an alignment suspension hight, tire pressures, etc all need to be checked as well.
Had a customer come in with their car pulling hard to the right - said they had just had Firestone do an alignment and now it was worse.
Being a tire store you would THINK they would have at least checked the tire pressure - if not the tire condition - and sold the guy a set of tires. The one tire was at 18psi and the other must have been 1/4 inch bigger on the outside than the inside.
I got to sell the guy a set of 4 tires (and they were not Firestones)
On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:02:08 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

The piece of paper it was written on was pretty well covered with ink, if that counts - - - -

Which only means it isn't twisted from the firewall back.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:01:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good point.

It just shows that if a shop does crap work then good shops will thrive.
--
Tekkie