Who are you going to call - rotten animal locator service?

I have a rental property that I lease out. Occasionally I get calls to fix different things - plumbing, electric etc... and I normally just call someone to go out there to fix it and have them deduct the cost from the rent check. I live over an hour away to go there myself to check things out.
Now today I got a call from the tenant and this is a new one. She said I need to fix a "smell" problem. I said what? They said there is a very strong odor and they traced it to the attic. The odor smells like some dead animal up there. The husband said he tried to open the garage hatch and the odor was so bad he cannot enter the attic and they demand I go "fix it". I asked whether it could be sewer gas smell and they said no, it smells like a dead animal and they cannot live in that side of the house.
I am not sure how I can fix it. This is not a mechanical or electrical failure, the lease does not specifically cover things of this nature. Regardless whether it is my responsibility to fix it, I guess I need to address it since if I don't, the smell will get worse and worse and it may be more and more difficult to rid the smell later the longer I wait. But this is not something for an exterminator? or is this another profession altogether?
Any suggestions? This is NOT a joke!
MC
MiamiCuse wrote:

Mmmmm, best bet is to ventilate the heck out of things (fans, fans, fans) and then observe where the smell appears first.
Dave
On 2 Jan 2007 09:27:39 -0800, MiamiCuse wrote:

Go to the zoo and borrow a buzzard or a Komodo dragon and put it in the attic for a few days.
HANDYMAN WITH GOOD FILTER MASK AFTER VENTLATING AS BEST YOU CAN.
stupid cap lock:(
HANDYMAN WITH GOOD FILTER MASK AFTER VENTLATING AS BEST YOU CAN.
stupid cap lock:(
Karl S wrote:

Of course then you'll need to hire an expert to remove the buzzard or Komodo dragon from the attic. Look in the Yellow Pages under Buzzard and Komodo Dragon Removal. You sometimes have to schedule an appointment weeks in advance.
To the OP -- tie a towel around your mouth and nose and look in the attic. If it smells that bad, the problem is probably obvious. Scoop it up in a plastic bag and take it home for dinner. Then raise the rent $100/month to get those complainers out, since this is something they should have done themselves.
MiamiCuse wrote: ...

Undoubtedly got a squirrel, 'possum or some other critter or bird, and yes, you had best take care of it as promptly as possible.
Some extermination companies may be willing to tackle it, that would probably be best place to start if you're not up to taking care of it yourself. Might call local animal control office and ask for suggestions -- they probably won't do it, but likely can tell you who could/would.
As an aside, near here at the local knacker's, the sign includes the message
"Your used cow dealer". :)
OBTW, once you've gotten the particular problem resolved, look carefully for signs of where it made entrance and for other signs of long-term habitation/infestation and resolve any such issues or the problem is likely to recur.

An exterminator would take care of it but it would probably cost over $100. I'd put on some old clothes and gloves and check it out myself. If dead animal, it's probably larger than a mouse.
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:23:32 -0500, "frank.logullo"

I would do this (inspect and fix) for my tenants in the past. By taking the time to actually check things out and talk with the tenant in person I could, secondly inspect the property.
Maybe they felt better having the landlord there for the problem.
-- Oren

Note: Bring some peppermint extract, and wipe it on your upper lip before trying to enter the attic. That will help keep you from puking.
MiamiCuse wrote:

You really have two problems. First is to get any live critters out and second to clean up the mess remaining.
I suggest an animal control company and they may do both. If not then contact one of the fire recovery companies as they are likely to take on the job. Likely not the first time for them doing it either.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

An hour drive, entry into the attic, smell out and remove the dead pigeon. Close any future entry areas.
Oh, live snakes can smell like rotten meat.
-- Oren
landlord in buffalo ny: it is your problem, posibly a dead attic squirrel. there are expensive companies who do cleanup after a fire and its odors. get the critter yourself. look for evidence of how it chewed its way into the house. look for its friends. repair the hole. trim back the tree branches. hire an exterminator if there is a family of creatures. remember that finding a good replacement tenant is expensive.