Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?

Page 7 of 12
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:38:52 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

This is beautiful information for alt.home.repair! These have to be replaced, apparently, every 12 years, whether they need it or not, so, it makes sense for us to buy them ourselves, since Amerigas told me they charge $300 and it's still "their" regulator!
If I replace it myself, for less than $100, that's another bonus for owning my own equipment!
Is there an actual DATE STAMP on the things? (Note: When I get home, I'll check.)
PS: Here's a reference that says it must be replaced every 12 years: http://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-propane-blog/residential-propane/the-pros-and-cons-of-tank-ownership/
However, this article says it's more like 15 to 25 years: http://www.propane101.com/regulators.htm
So, does anyone know if this 12 years is a law or just Amerigas scare-speak?
On 9/30/2013 2:57 PM, Alex Gunderson wrote:

not on mine, either low or high. there's also no tag or sticker on it with anything additional that the installers left. my low pressure regulator is next to the house, and the only additional inspection in the 12 years since installation was when the guy was replacing my high pressure regulator, just to see if he had any more business to do on the same trip.

amerigas didn't tell me it's required to change the regulator on any schedule, nor did any of the other fill companies ever do so. iirc it was somewhere around $300 for the part + installation, and they do not own the regulator. it's attached to my tank, and is my regulator. your link states that this is a con for user owned tanks, btw.
as a matter of fact, i got a fill about 4 days before i smelled gas, so it might have even been slightly leaking during the fill and they didn't even mention it.
i do know that i can use different fill companies only after each come out and do an inspection for safety (inside and out). however, they only did that for the 1st fill, and none has ever been back for another check. i'd guess they do some sort of check on the tank regulator by smell only, and the driver must be immune to the smell. i've never seen them use a sniffer or soapy water for a test when doing a fill.
of the 4 companies i use, the difference between high and low can be (at certain times of the year) $1/gallon. for a 250g tank, that's only 1.5 fills to pay off the service call for the regulator. i get a fill every 10 months or so, when i want to, not on the company's schedule. i can time buying to the low cost season, although amerigas sometimes sends me a coupon for .50-$1/gallon about once every couple years.
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:11:06 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

That was my exact experience with Amerigas.
They checked it once, tagged the kitchen grill, and then left and never came back for inspection (until I called them for the BBQ last week).
So, I suspect I should probably pay the $100 each (roughly) to have an inspection by the four local companies that are in the coop, and just have them all set up, and do an at-will call to choose the cheapest at the time that I start running down to about 40% or so.
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:11:06 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

I don't ever get those coupons!
But then again, I have a contractual price, based on something like 56 cents above a published wholesale price, as explained here: http://www.southskyline.org/skyprop.html
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:57:57 +0000, Alex Gunderson wrote:

Yup. On the two regulators (red and gray) at the tank itself, there is a date stamp on each regulator.
There is no date stamp on the two regulators (brown and gray) that are at the generator and house accordingly.

A welding supply place was where I bought mine.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:38:04 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

That's interesting.
Googling, the welding supply propane regulators don't seem to look anything like the tank regulators.
Here is a cite for the welding supply propane regulators: http://www.weldersupply.com/products.asp?id
Here is what the propane tank regulators look like: http://propanewarehouse.com/firstregulators.asp

Yeah, I did, many years ago when I bought a sailboat
I had just installed an on demand hot water heater, wanted all up to snuff so went to the gas place and told them I wanted a regulator for 15" WC (water column). Went back to the boat, had my wife up on deck to turn on the tank; when she did I lit the heater and I HAD FIRE EVERY WHERE!! Good thing my wife was on deck to shut off the tank because I sure couldn't get to the water heater. Could have been a real disasteer; as it was, I lost most of my eyebrows, moustache and beard.
I returned to the gas place, expressed my extreme dissatisfaction. Turned out they had given me a regulator for 15 psi, not WC. Big difference.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:35:48 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Now that you've scared the wits out of me, I went to look at my four regulators.
At least this is directly a home repair question.
Can you explain what these numbers mean so that I can buy my own replacement regulators when their time comes due?
RED High Pressure regulator on the propane tank: Fisher Controls Date: 11/02 (so 12 years would be 11/2014) ORF: 13/64 IN (presumably that's the orifice) SPG: 5.5 - 10.5 PSI (presumably that's the pressure range) But there are no BTU figures???
GRAY Low Pressure regulator on the propane tank: Fisher Controls Date: 11/99 (so 12 years would be 11/2011) ORF: 13/64 IN (presumably that's the orifice) SPG: 9.5 - 13 IN WC
BROWN Low pressure regulator at the generator RECO ELON College NC LV 4403
GRAY Low Pressure regulator at the house RECO Chicago ILL USA 2403
Notice there are no dates on two of the regulators, and, one regulator is past the 12-year cutoff date. Also notice there are no BTU figures, so how do I figure out a replacement regulator? http://propanewarehouse.com/firstregulators.asp
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 00:36:22 +0000, Alex Gunderson wrote:

I'm going to pull this out and make it a separate question. I'll snap some pictures in the daylight, tomorrow.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:22:43 -0700 (PDT), Chip C

...and this happens exactly how often?

Here we go; the old "they cancel your insurance after a claim" BS.

No, if that's what happened, he does NOT own the thing. However, if no one is giving him a hard time, he's already said *way* too much. STFU and play dumb.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 05:52:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Understood. They could have come at any time to pick it up. They didn't.
On 9/27/2013 7:35 AM, Alex Gunderson wrote:

they didn't have to.
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:35:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have come to this realization that you are probably correct. I don't own the tank. They probably own it.

Actually, they fill their tanks and your tanks but they won't fill a tanks that they know to be owned by a third party.
On Friday, September 27, 2013 2:49:57 PM UTC-4, Alex Gunderson wrote:

Why exactly is that? All he has is a tech from the current gas company telling him that he thinks it is owned by company X, which is now part of the current gas company.
From the scenario you

This is just pure nonsense. Just because you don't have a bill of sale doesn't mean you don't own it. I don't have a bill of sale for most of the stuff in my house. Does that mean I don't own it? Does the current gas company have the bill of sale or proof that THEY own it? All you have are the flapping gums of one tech.
The simple fact is at this point you don't know who owns it. And again, you're getting gas, no one is saying they want the tank back, no one is charging you for it. WTF is the problem?

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:29:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I don't disagree with you as I "may" own it even if the gas company thinks they own it. They probably know the law much better than I do, which may be a reason why they've never come to get it.
The ownership only matters if I want to switch suppliers (in which case I have to fill out another affidavit saying I own it) or if the current company asks me for rent.
At that immediate point, it matters greatly who owns that tank!
Note: When I get home, I can see who the company is that made it and I can call them to see if they know who BOUGHT the tank originally; then I can work down the chain of ownership.
On Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:56:06 PM UTC-7, Alex Gunderson wrote:

Yes I understand that the chances are one in a million but the question is: If the tank blew-up would you sue company 1?
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:11:02 -0700, recyclebinned wrote:

I've never sued anyone in my life, and I'm over 60, so, probably not. Unless someone was hurt badly, and then I'd probably want their medical costs covered.
Also, I must repeat, the chance of the tank blowing up is so low that it's more likely that the chimney will blow over in a strong wind - so I must deal with more pragmatic matters.
The most pragmatic seems to be for me to buy a new tank (if they won't sell the old one to me for a good price).
The key problem with a new tank is that the old grandfathered rules no longer apply - so - I am scoping out the additional concrete pad, tie-down points, trench, conduit, risers, & regulators.
On 09/26/2013 07:56 PM, Alex Gunderson wrote:

If the tank blows up and kills the neighbor's kid, will you still be claiming ownership of the tank? I doubt it.
Tell the owner of the tank to come and get their tank. Buy a new tank from a different propane supplier.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 04:48:23 -0400, noname wrote:

That's exactly what I'm leaning toward.
To that end, I had a long talk with the propane company sales & technical support.
This is preliminary, but this is what I'm assessing:
1. Propane company will deliver a new empty tank 2. Tank must (now) be 25' from all structures 3. Trench needs to be 12" deep (if not driven over) 4. Tank must have a reinforced concrete pad 5. Pad must have tie-down eyebolts or lag bolts 6. Conduit must have metal wire running alongside 7. Both risers must be plastic or steel 8. Propane company will install & own the 3 regulators 9. Propane company will deliver tank (but I can own it) 10. Propane company will install & own tie-down straps 11. Propane company will connect, own, & inspect connections 12. Propane company will deliver fuel